Bluetooth devices won't connect with RaspberryPi 4 2GB

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ephsforever

Bluetooth devices won't connect with RaspberryPi 4 2GB

Post by ephsforever »

Hi,

I just bought a new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with 2 GB RAM. I loaded an image of RaspberryPi OS Buster (Debian 10.6) that I used with no issues this past winter on five other Pi 4 Model B units. This time, I could connect to WiFi just fine and everything else seemed to work as usual, but when I tried to connect my bluetooth keyboard I ran into problems. The keyboard can be detected when trying to add devices, but when I actually try to add it as a bluetooth device the connection hangs and eventually times out. I searched for the issue online, and it seems very similar to the ones reported in this Reddit thread from just a couple months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... h_devices/. I wonder if there was just a batch of Raspberry Pi 4's with faulty bluetooth chips? Any suggestions for fixes, or would it be possible for me to make an exchange through Adafruit?

For comparison with the Reddit post, here is the output of the systemctl status bluetooth command on my RaspberryPi 4:

bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-05-29 13:17:27 EDT; 52min ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Main PID: 983 (bluetoothd)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
└─983 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Starting SDP server
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Sap driver initialization failed.
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: sap-server: Operation not permitted (1)
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.21 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
May 29 13:17:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.21 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
May 29 13:17:28 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Failed to set privacy: Rejected (0x0b)
May 29 13:17:28 raspberrypi bluetoothd[983]: Failed to set local name: Not Powered (0x0f)

Thanks in advance for your help!

ephsforever

Re: Bluetooth devices won't connect with RaspberryPi 4 2GB

Post by ephsforever »

Hi,

I just wanted to ping this thread for Adafruit support. Do you have any suggestions for how to fix the Bluetooth? Are there any other diagnostics I should run? I'm not very familiar with how to go about debugging this hardware and it would be great to have some guidance. If all else fails, may I please exchange this unit for one that does not have this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Tim

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That isn't a failure mode we've seen before.

Check with the folks over in the RasPi Foundation forums and see if they have any more information:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

ephsforever

Post by ephsforever »

Thanks for the response. I finally found a fix that worked on for me on StackExchange. Here's the link in case anyone else is having a similar issue with Bluetooth pairing:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... 914#123914

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. useful. Thanks for posting the link!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”