Airlift Board Wi-Fi with Micropython (not CP)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Airlift Board Wi-Fi with Micropython (not CP)

by geekinchief on Sun May 30, 2021 12:52 am

I'm wondering if there's a way of using the Airlift breakout board with my Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 using Micropython, rather than CircuitPython. I tried importing the relevant libraries into MicroPython, but still get an error which says

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
  File "<stdin>", line 17, in <module>
  File "/lib/adafruit_esp32spi/adafruit_esp32spi.py", line 335, in status
  File "/lib/adafruit_esp32spi/adafruit_esp32spi.py", line 324, in _send_command_get_response
  File "/lib/adafruit_esp32spi/adafruit_esp32spi.py", line 232, in _send_command
  File "/lib/adafruit_bus_device/spi_device.py", line 76, in __enter__
  File "busio.py", line 305, in configure
AttributeError: type object 'SPI' has no attribute 'MSB'

So it looks like the adafuit_esp32spi library is not one of those that can work in MP at this time. I need to use the Airlift in MP rather than CP, because I'm trying to use it together with a Kitronik Robot board that only works in MP and not in CP.

geekinchief

Re: Airlift Board Wi-Fi with Micropython (not CP)

by blnkjns on Sun May 30, 2021 4:35 am

The micro:bit runs great in C++, actually it is one of my favourite boards in the Arduino IDE, it runs butter smooth and has one of the fastest compile-and-upload cycles, maybe even faster than saving a .hex file to the mounted drive. Is it hard to do the main robot code in C++?
You use this one:?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4201
Do you use the V1.4 or V2 micro:bit? The V1.4 has very little room for Python code, and it may limit any succes with running the ESP WiFi stack using MP.
Another option could be that you use a second microcontroller, one that works with the Airlift, can be any board you have lying around, and that you set up some I2C commands to control the WiFi thing. Guess MP has some generic I2C library.

blnkjns

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.