Bluetooth Speaker Build

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TechED13

Bluetooth Speaker Build

Post by TechED13 »

I am designing a project for an adult education class, and as part of the course they will learn to read a wiring diagram and solder wires.

I have come up with a bluetooth speaker build but have not been able to find kits I like, and have decided to source individual components, however i am not very familiar with these kinds of builds or sourcing the right components.

The kits should have the following components
2" speakers
a power supply/battery pack and way to charge it
amplifier with bluetooth capabilities
LED switch/ power button

I would like the compnents to be able to be mounted with screws and not just hot glued on, any circuit boards should have solder connections,

I am not sure I even have all the necessary components on the list. here are some links to kits i have found that are close to what i am looking for, but do not meet all my criteria

https://www.etsy.com/listing/928608135/ ... ic=1&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/680539462/ ... 1629810316

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluetooth Speaker Build

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Unfortunately, the only way to make a DIY Bluetooth speaker is to salvage parts from an off-the-shelf unit.

'Bluetooth' is the category name for several different and incompatible protocols managed by the same Working Group. Bluetooth speakers use the protocol now known as Bluetooth Classic (BT-C), while devices like ours use the protocol named Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE).

BLE is much slower than BT-C, and can't transmit audio data in real time. BT-C requires all devices to transmit a Vendor ID number, which you can only get by paying annual dues to the Working Group (something around $5k/year the last time I checked). Ten to a dozen years ago, one company allowed hobbyists to use a subset of their VID space, and the Working Group immediately kicked them out and disabled their VIDs.

Bluetooth audio is managed by the big players for the big players, and they have no interest in letting the little guys into their revenue stream.

People started to abandon BT-C because of that, in favor of other wireless protocols. One strong candidate was named Wibree, which the BT-Working Group took over and renamed as BLE. BLE is more friendly to independent developers, but is limited to devices like health trackers and tethered sensor/display units.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”