Remote Start

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AndreSmith

Remote Start

Post by AndreSmith »

I have a Champion generator that utilizes a remote start FOB operating on 434 MHz. Can someone recommend which Adafruit transmitter/transceiver I could use with a Raspberry Pi for a remote start over the Internet?
Thanks!
Andre'

mikeysklar

Re: Remote Start

Post by mikeysklar »

@AndreSmith,

Note - remote starting a gasoline generator could be dangerous and We don't sell 434 MHz RF gear.

That being said usually the easiest way to is rip apart the FOB and use a GPIO on the Pi to trigger a non-latching relay which can complete the button press. These FOBs are often 12v thus the need for the relay.

AndreSmith

Post by AndreSmith »

The FOB's actual frequency is 433.995 MHz. I was wondering if one of the Adafruit 433 MHz. units would operate in that upper region?
I had considered using a relay to trigger the FOB switches but the FOB uses internal button cell batteries (3v-CR2025) that I would like to not have rely on to start the generator (or need to use another power supply to supplement operation).
Andre'

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

We do sell some 433 MHz gear like the RFM96W / RFM69HCW which come in many form factors. You would still need to reverse engineer any protocol involved with your generator <--> fob. This hardware could help you with that, but we don't have specific guides for this.

It might make more sense to swap the coincell with a 3v3 wall power supply and use a relay. Whatever you are more comfortable with makes the most sense.

AndreSmith

Post by AndreSmith »

Thank you Mikey - that was the info and recommendations I was looking for.
I am using Universal Radio Hacker to decode and reverse engineer the FOB transmissions.
I know this path seems like I'm taking "the long road" but in the end, this way will be much simpler and more elegant. If it ends up not working/being too complicated, I can always revert back to your 1st suggestion of using the FOB and relays.

Andre'

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The obstacle is the way. I think you have a good plan. Let us know how it goes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”