AirLift Breakout - A Humble Request

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GeekQuixotic

AirLift Breakout - A Humble Request

Post by GeekQuixotic »

Hi,

There are now a large (and increasing) number of devices in the Adafruit catalog with STEMMA [QT], including microcontrollers.

Would it be possible to get an AirLift breakout with a STEMMA/I2C connection instead of SPI?

There is a discussion brewing elsewhere in the forums about wanting to make a Macropad into an IoT/Smarthome controller, myself included. But with the Macropad’s SPI tied to the display, and the only expansion broken out being I2C, this stops us right there.

Yes, there is the recent project in the Learn pages[1] that is using remote calls, but that is still dependent on another computer and it’s not the only time an I2C Airlift would be handy.

I don’t think every new product needs WiFi, but with the rise of STEMMA, a single new/upgraded AirLift breakout could easily give any project the option.

Thanks,

Chad

1. https://learn.adafruit.com/macropad-rem ... -assistant

dastels

Re: AirLift Breakout - A Humble Request

Post by dastels »

I very much doubt I2C work work for network communication. SPI is a lot faster and better for larger transfers.

It's also less straightforward to add a SPI connector. You have SCK, MOSI, and MISO. But then you need a chip select, and potentially some number of other pins.

I would, instead, look at adding a set of feather headers to the design to allow the addition of an arbitrary wing.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”