ATWINC1500 WPA2 TKIP vs. AES

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
higgybaby

ATWINC1500 WPA2 TKIP vs. AES

Post by higgybaby »

I am using a Feather M0 Wifi (ATWINC1500) as well as the Adafruit ATWINC1500 breakout with a standard Feather M0. I'm using the WiFi101 library. Everything works fine, however when I use the SoftAP example with my iPhone, my phone complains about using "weak security"... apparently because WPA2/TKIP is being used instead of WPA2/AES. If this is correct, is it possible to configure these devices to use WPA2/AES?

mikeysklar

Re: ATWINC1500 WPA2 TKIP vs. AES

Post by mikeysklar »

Only WPA2 personal (not enterprise).

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Libr ... ectWithWPA

higgybaby

Post by higgybaby »

Thanks for getting back. I was asking about using the Feather as SoftAP... but maybe the questions raised by trying the example you suggested will get me closer to a solution.

Anyway, I ran the program you linked to... with the only changes being adding the WiFi.Pins() function required by the Feather as well as the SSID and Password for my home router. My router is set to use WPA2-Personal [AES] only. The program seems to connect to my router however it states that I'm using "Encryption Type: 2" which is WPA. I believe Encryption Type should be 3 for WPA2 which is what I'm trying to achieve. What am I missing? How do I get a WPA2 connection?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I would read encryption type 2 was WPA or WPA2 whre as type-1 would be WEP based on this page:
Connect No Encryption: Demonstrates how to connect to an open network.
Connect With WEP: Demonstrates how to connect to a network that is encrypted with WEP.
Connect With WPA: Demonstrates how to connect to a network that is encrypted with WPA2 Personal.
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LibraryExamples

It sounds as though you have successfully connected to your home router using WPA2 AES personal or is that not correct?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”