Reset timing woes with Feather nRF52832

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
egnor

Reset timing woes with Feather nRF52832

Post by egnor »

Hi friends! I love the nRF52 Bluefruit line.

I'm having a bit of a struggle with the reset behavior of the nRF52832 Feather in particular. Here's what I've observed.

On reset (DTR toggle, button, or power-on) it goes into a bootloading state characterized by rapidly pulsing red LED (/\/\/\/\) for a second or so. After that it jumps to whatever sketch was programmed and runs that. BUT, if DTR toggles during that first second, it goes to a DIFFERENT bootloading(?) state characterized by a slowly pulsing red LED (_,.-^^-.,_,.-^^-.,_). This state doesn't time out, the device will stay there until a hard reset (button or power).

This is a problem for me because I have a host-side program (running on a Raspberry Pi) that wants to connect to the device as soon as it's plugged in (it's looking for the device file to appear). So it will tend to connect in that first second, which unavoidably causes a DTR flicker, which triggers that other state, which then makes the device not useful.

I work around this with various timing delays, but that's uncomfortable, and I'm not confident I understand the situation. What's happening here? Any help welcome!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”