Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi can't connect to Huzzah32 feather r

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tcweller

Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi can't connect to Huzzah32 feather r

Post by tcweller »

I'm using two boards from Adafruit:
Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board PID: 3405
Assembled Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi - ATSAMD21 + ATWINC1500 PID: 2598

On HUZZAH32, I'm running the basic AP mode example "WiFiAccessPoint." It works just fine. I can easily connect to it with other ESP32s and my computer.

On the ATWINC1500, I get the following when I run the firmware test:
Firmware version installed: 19.5.2
(this is the version the board came pre-installed with)

Also on the ATWINC1500, I get the following when I run the ScanNetworks example:
0) yourAP Signal: -45 dBm Encryption: WPA
This WPA network is the one running on the HUZZAH32.

Finally, on the ATWINC1500 - I run the ConnectWithWPA sketch. with the proper credentials and it just says "Attempting to connect to WPA SSID: yourAP" forever.

The only change to the example sketches is the required WiFi.setPins(8,7,4,2) line.

I'm running in verbose debugging mode on the ESP and it doesn't register anything while the ATWINC1500 is attempting to connect.

I've attempted to use this same ATWINC1500 board to connect to several other Wifi access points with no difficulty.

To eliminate other possible issues, neither board is connected to anything else.

On a lark, I also tried connecting to the HUZZAH32 AP with a ATWINC1500 WiFi Breakout and observed the exact same problem.

Please help!
Thank you!

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi can't connect to Huzzah32 feath

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you provide a link to the code you are running for the AP mode.

Are you able to connect to the Huzzah32 or WINC1500 soft APs from a laptop/ipad/phone? Just curious if any device is able to use them.

tcweller

Post by tcweller »

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned, I'm using essentially unmodified example sketches (except using setPins on the M0). I've attached them to this reply for your reference. WifiAccessPoint is running on the Huzzah32. ConnectWithWPA is running on the Feather M0 Wifi.

Also, I've had no trouble connecting to the AP running on the ESP32 with other devices. I've connected with a phone, a laptop, as well as a sketch running on another Huzzah32 feather. All work perfectly with no issues. The Feather M0 connects to other APs just fine such as my home network box and a couple of RPIs with no trouble. I haven't tried running a soft AP on the M0 because that isn't relevant to this project.

Hopefully this info will allow you to reproduce this odd problem. Thank you!
Attachments

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

arduino_secrets.h
referenced from ConnectWithWPA
(66 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@tcweller,

This helps a lot.

Everything is good on the Huzzah32 Soft AP side and the issue is only the WINC1500 client not connecting correctly to it. I suspect the problem is the code you are running. The ConnectWithWPA would be appropriate for modern APs, but the Soft AP you are using on the Huzzah either has not encryption or at best ConnectWithWEP could be used. I'd try using one of those example scripts to connect the WINC1500 to the Huzzah.

https://github.com/arduino-libraries/Wi ... r/examples

tcweller

Post by tcweller »

Thanks, but I tried that already. When using the ConnectWithWEP example script, I have the exact same problem - it just tries to connect forever. Also, as I mentioned in my initial post, the "ScanNetworks.ino" example script from Wifi101 running on the M0 board outputs: "yourAP Signal: -45 dBm Encryption: WPA." - so the M0 board is both seeing the AP and also recognizing it as a WPA encrypted network. According to the Adafruit website, all wifi feathers are supposed to support WPA.

Can you provide alternate code to run on either device to get the M0 to connect to an AP running on the ESP32?

Thank you!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I was unable to find another library or code example to try.

Do you think the ESP32 SoftAP is acting more like a p2p connection than a true AP? I ask because the WINC1500 does not support p2p type connections. Did you try to connect the Feather M0 WINC1500 through your phone as well (I think you had only mentioned the ESP32 as being tested for that).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”