rfm69 range

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rcayot

rfm69 range

Post by Rcayot »

I have an RF69 breakout that I want to use to transmit weather data. I have it paired with an RPI RFM69 bonnet. The boards have short wire antennae. I have my boards sending and receiving packages, but the range is insufficient. When about 30-50' apart they work, but when I move the RPI2040 feather with RFM69 breakout outside, about 60' away and downstairs, the communication breaks down.

My understanding is that these radios shoulld be able to communicate up to 500' or more. I am wondering how much improvement would I gain if I used an applicable antenna? and, do I really need an RF96 board to achieve the 500' more or less? I want my radio to be in my garden to transmit the data from my BME280 sensor. I had it working with BLE but the range was too limited, I could only go from teh deck outside to an RPI zero nearby inside.

Any suggestions would be great. I bought the RFM69 instead fo teh 96 to save $, maybe I will end up spending more $ to save the few I spent.

Roger

sj_remington

Re: rfm69 range

Post by sj_remington »

A better antenna on both RX and TX would give you much better range, either a 1/4 wave whip perpendicular to a ground plane, or a dipole antenna cut for the proper frequency.

Rcayot

Post by Rcayot »

Thanks SJ.

I soldered a 3" wire to teh antenna contact, as recommended. I guess the answer is that I should get a pair of tuned antennae, and if they do not provide the range, to go ahead and get teh RFM96 which is higher power trans/rec, where I can re-use the antennae.

Roger

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

What frequency band is the radio using?

Rcayot

Post by Rcayot »

I straightened out the antenna, and it seems to have been improved. I will check how far I can go tomorrow.

Roger

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”