ESP32 Wifi Modem Sleep and Reboots

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scottmil

ESP32 Wifi Modem Sleep and Reboots

Post by scottmil »

I have an ESP32 Huzzah Feather app that uses both Bluetooth and Wifi that has been compiling and working for several years.

Unfortunately, after updating my Arduino libraries yesterday, the app compiles but reboots continuously (see attached screenshot) after the app is uploaded, complaining with:

"[Wifi - event] event: 0 E (2667) wifi: Error! Should enable WiFi modem sleep when both WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled !"

How should WiFi modem sleep be implemented? Is there an error in a library that is causing this problem?

I assume WiFi sleep is required to reduce power consumption, but my app draws power continuously from an USB adapter and power savings is not required.
Sample message on each ESP32 continuous rebooting
Sample message on each ESP32 continuous rebooting
esp32_reboots.jpg (78.18 KiB) Viewed 381 times

scottmil

Re: ESP32 Wifi Modem Sleep and Reboots

Post by scottmil »

I resolved my issue by separating my app into two parts, each running on a separate ESP32 Feather: one app performs BLE scans and outputs the results to a second app that transmits the results via Wifi. The unexpected result of this change is that the range of the BLE scanner appears to be longer, possibly because it no longer needs to share the antenna with Wifi.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”