ESP32-S3 Feather (5323) BLE HID error

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
futari

ESP32-S3 Feather (5323) BLE HID error

Post by futari »

From https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... -8.2.4.zip

ble_simpletest.py functions properly (scans local ble)
ble_advertising_simpletest.py functions properly (connects to Bluefruit Connect)

ble_hid_periph.py errors with NotImplementedError on "hid = HIDService()"

repl:
code.py output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "code.py", line 33, in <module>
File "/lib/adafruit_ble/services/standard/hid.py", line 324, in __init__
File "/lib/adafruit_ble/services/__init__.py", line 36, in __init__
NotImplementedError:

freddyboomboom

Re: ESP32-S3 Feather (5323) BLE HID error

Post by freddyboomboom »

There's no learning guide yet for the Feather ESP32-S3, so I don't know of any examples to point you to.

Other than the generic "make sure you have all the libraries that are called out in your code" and "make sure all the libraries are from the build of CircuitPython you've got installed", I don't have any suggestions.

You do know the current Circuitpython supported on that board is 7.3.0-beta1, correct? That support for it is not released?

futari

Post by futari »

freddyboomboom wrote:There's no learning guide yet for the Feather ESP32-S3, so I don't know of any examples to point you to.

Other than the generic "make sure you have all the libraries that are called out in your code" and "make sure all the libraries are from the build of CircuitPython you've got installed", I don't have any suggestions.

You do know the current Circuitpython supported on that board is 7.3.0-beta1, correct? That support for it is not released?
---------------
Hi freddyboomboom,

My repl says:
Adafruit CircuitPython 7.3.0-beta.1 on 2022-04-07; Adafruit Feather ESP32S3 No PSRAM with ESP32S3

Not my code, it's Adafruit's The link is:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... -8.2.4.zip

All the import libraries called out by the code module are in lib, latest version:
adafruit-circuitpython-bundle-7.x-mpy-20220416

I haven't seen any caveat notices about excluded functionality. The _bleio module doc indicates availability on the 5323 feather and points to the adafruit_ble driver from here:
https://docs.circuitpython.org/en/lates ... index.html

Where have you found that CP support for adafruit_ble has not been released yet?

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

The support for the Feather ESP32-S3 is in the "beta" version of 7.3.0, which is not in a "released" status at this time.

When I said "your code" I meant whatever code you are running, whether you got it from somewhere else or wrote it yourself.

futari

Post by futari »

freddyboomboom wrote:The support for the Feather ESP32-S3 is in the "beta" version of 7.3.0, which is not in a "released" status at this time.

When I said "your code" I meant whatever code you are running, whether you got it from somewhere else or wrote it yourself.
-------------------------

OK, so this issue is a beta bug. Is it a known issue?

futari

Post by futari »

After much drilling, this is what I found to be the Circuitpython bottleneck for ESP32-S3 ble:
https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues/5926

Looks as if we're not going to see CP ble support for a while on the prime ESP bluetooth S3 boards from Adafruit and Unexpected Maker.
I'm headed down the Micropython road if the workflow and tool-chain permit.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”