Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer (BLE 4.0) nRF51822

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yenhui

Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer (BLE 4.0) nRF51822

Post by yenhui »

I am using the Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer nRF51822 on my Windows 11 laptop computer, and I am following the step by step instructions on the Adafruit website here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... nd-python3

First I plugged my Sniffer nRF51822 into a USB port, and then I downloaded the SIlicon Labs VCP driver by clicking on the green rectangle (which reads "Silicon Labs VCP Driver") which takes me to this page:

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-t ... cp-drivers

where I chose "Downloads", and then I chose "CP210x Universal Windows Driver v11.1.0". I went to Downloads on my laptop computer and found "CP210x_Universal_Windows_Drivers.zip". I right clicked on that and chose "Extract all". I see, in the Download section of my laptop computer, the following files:

arm
arm64
x64
x86
CP210x_Universal_Windows__Drivers_ReleaseNotes.txt
silabser.cat
silabser.inf
SLAB_License_Agreement_VCP_Windows

I also saw in the Downloads section of my laptop computer a file named "blesnifferwin101.zip" on which I also right clicked and chose "Extract all".

As per the instructions, I then go to my Device Manager where I see:

?Other Devices
?!CP2102N USB to UART Bridge Controller

but according to the instructions, I should see:

Ports (COM & LPT)
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM4)

I have tried removing the Sniffer from its USB port and then plugging it back into the USB port, but that does not seem to create the proper response in the Device Manager. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sj_remington

Re: Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer (BLE 4.0) nRF51822

Post by sj_remington »

Did you actually install the CP2102 driver? Check the X64 folder.

yenhui

Re: Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer (BLE 4.0) nRF51822

Post by yenhui »

Thanks for the advice (I apologize for my confusion). In looking for the CP2102 driver, I found the file called "CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver_ReleaseNotes.txt" which says:

"### Manual install ###
1. Using Windows File Explorer, locate the driver folder
(that you previously unzipped)
2. Right click on the silabser.inf file and select Install
3. Follow the instructions"

I followed those instructions and found the "silabser.inf" file and its "install" command (which was somewhat hidden), and now my Device Manager shows:

Ports (COM & LPT)
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)

Consequently, I can continue with the step by step instructions and go to the installation of the Pyserial package tomorrow (I already have Python 3.8.10 installed on my laptop computer). Thanks again for your time and your help. I really appreciate it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”