Flashing firmware upgrade to old Bluefruit BLE sniffer using

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jackjansen

Flashing firmware upgrade to old Bluefruit BLE sniffer using

Post by jackjansen »

I have an old Bluefruit BLE sniffer lying around (bought around 2016) that was still running firmware v1, so I decided to try and upgrade it.

I don't have any fancy JTAG/SWD programmers, but I do have a FT2232H minimodule, so I decided to give that a go.

It has been a partial success: I've managed to upgrade to firmware v3.0, which works with current Wireshark (I'm using it on MacOS, I guess it'll be fine on Windows/Linux too).
If anyone also wants to try this: my notes are at <https://github.com/jackjansen/openocd-p ... n/nrf51822>, including wiring information and openocd config files and commands needed.

But I also have a question: I can flash firmware V1.0 through V3.0, by selecting the `pca10001` hex files from the Nordic sniffer distributions, and they seem to work (although I am now seeing the red LED flash on BLE traffic, where I seem to remember that it was the blue LED when my dongle was running the original firmware).

But I have not had any success with newer firmware (V3.1 through V4.1). The naming scheme for the hex files has changed, and none of them seem to be working on the Adafruit dongle. It would be good to have the newer firmware, because of ability to follow encrypted conversations and more.

Does anyone know whether there is a firmware hex file that would work with this old dongle?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”