Sending Minimalist Bluetooth Message
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Sending Minimalist Bluetooth Message

by fsmith on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Love this tutorial - https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-the-nrf8001-bluefruit-le-breakout/introduction

It worked on the first try using a Boarduino, with no previous Arduino experience. I have a cheap, wearable, goal in mind so my next thought was to try a Trinket, but I see from other postings that it won't work. Not enough pins to work the same as the Arduino, right? At least, not for the code supplied. I realized that a Pro Trinket would probably work as is.

But, then I realized that I may not even need a microprocessor. Conceptually, I just want to connect from my phone to the nRF8001, and send a message to turn on an LED. I may need to turn it off too.

I tried connecting my nRF8001 to power, and put an LED on the RDY pin, thinking I could use the UART app from the tutorial, just to put any byte of data into the buffer. No love, and I'm not sure what's going on. The app apparently cannot connect. Is there something I have to enable so the BLE can connect/handshake? Will the RDY stay high until cleared, or just be a blip that I need to catch? Perhaps I could catch it with a Trinket?

fsmith

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.