Bluefruit EZ-Key expected battery life

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yeky83

Bluefruit EZ-Key expected battery life

Post by yeky83 »

I read from the product FAQ that the current draw is ~25mA.

With resource from this page:
http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/con ... ttery-life

I estimated how long 1000 mAh battery would last with the Bluefruit EZ-Key.
1000 mAh / 25 mA * 0.7 = 28 hours

28 hours seem quite short compared to bluetooth keyboards in the market. Even if we put in a 2000 mAh battery, it's only 56 hours. With this kind of expected battery life, it doesn't seem too realistic to use the Bluefruit EZ-Key to build an everyday bluetooth keyboard.

Any remedies? How come there's such a difference in battery life expectancy of sold bluetooth keyboards and one I might be making with a Bluefruit EZ-Key? Are bluetooth keyboards in the market built with a timed low-power sleep mode?

Thanks for musing this with me!

cskonopka

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Key expected battery life

Post by cskonopka »

Did you ever follow up on this research? I am very curious about this topic since I've run into power issues and also incorrect pin data due when I have the Bluefruit EZ-Link connected to a Trinket Pro with a battery.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yah usually they go into a low power mode, we don't know exactly how to do that, though. There's a reason we now have BTLE (emphasis on the L.E. part ;)

yeky83

Post by yeky83 »

Is there an expected current draw estimate for the BLE 4.0 (nRF8001)?
I think it'd be useful to have that info on its page, just like Bluefruit has that info of ~25mA.

Thanks for the reply, Adafruit2. And thanks for kicking this post alive again, cskonopka.

cskonopka

Post by cskonopka »

All day! I made a post similar to this where I was trying to run the ADS1115 with the Trinket Pro and Bluefruit Ez-Link but experience major issues involving pin accuracy from analog pins. When I use a potentiometer its fine but when its trying to measure voltage from a CV source it acts incorrectly. All I can deduct is that there is some type of power issue because when I plug the Trinket Pro into my computer/external power source things change. So there is some type of issue I can't identify but can only deduct. I also noticed this while doing the same thing with an UNO instead of a Trinket Pro and when the battery drains I lose resolution. Thus I ended up having to have a battery for the ADC and the UNO which is rather gross. I desire to have it be all on one battery. Thus I am super curious about this. I'm a total n00b with the power stuff, more of a creative so its hard to find answers since I don't know the lexicon.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”