Adafruit CC3000 WiFi! Buildtest: Pinging?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit CC3000 WiFi! Buildtest: Pinging?

by jorgepadilla on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello!
I am new to WiFi Modules. I purchased the Adafruit CC3000 WiFi module not that long ago and been trying to run the buildtest. My serial monitor matches the sample on the Adafruit PDF, however, instead of saying:

Pinging 207.58.139.247...5 replies
Ping successful!

Closing the connection

My serial monitor says:

Pinging 207.58.139.247...0 replies

Closing the connection

The key difference being 0 replies and not showing "Ping Successful!"
Is this a problem?
I am able to recognize all of the access points around, connect to the
access point, get a good connection with DHCP, and can do a DNS lookup on
www.adafruit.com (http://adafru.it/aK0). However, i dont think I can ping successfully. Any ideas/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am using an Arduino Uno by the way.

jorgepadilla

Re: Adafruit CC3000 WiFi! Buildtest: Pinging?

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 am

That's odd. Can you ping that address from your computer?

adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit2 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Your/Our firewall may have blocked the pings, its pretty common to block ICMP packets at the router level.

adafruit2
Site Admin

by tdicola on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Yep check that it's not a networking or router issue that's blocking pings. On your computer you might open a terminal/command line program and try running 'ping adafruit.com' (without quotes) to see if your computer can successfully ping the site. Also on the CC3000 try running the web client example to check that it can communicate over port 80 with adafruit.com and download a web page.

tdicola

by jorgepadilla on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello, again!
I tried pinging with my computer and I was able to ping just fine with the terminal. I tried running the webclient test, just like you asked, and it looks like I wasnt able to communicate over port 80 with adafruit.com. Any other suggestions? I am still getting the same serial monitor message as before

jorgepadilla

by tdicola on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Can you post the full output of the buildtest sketch? Just curious to what's output as it initializes and connects to the network.

It's odd that you're connecting and getting DNS to resolve, but not being able to access port 80 or get ping responses. This sounds a lot like some kind of issue with the router preventing network traffic. Do you know what router is being used and if it has any security features like MAC address filtering, etc. enabled? Do you have to do anything to get internet access on a machine on the network, like login to a web page first?

tdicola

by jorgepadilla on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hello!
down below you will find a picture of the serial monitor for the buildtest:

down below you will find a picture of the serial monitor for the webclient:

I looked into your question about the router. I think maybe that could be the problem. You see, I currently live in college housing, which means I am using the college internet wifi. When I first moved in, I was required to login to a web page first. But once you do that, the wifi network remembers your computer and you no longer need to log in. Do you think that that may be the problem? If so, why is it that I am able to ping to adafruit.com with my terminal when I am logged in?

Also, on a different note, I also purchased your EZ-Link Bluetooth module. I had no problem connecting this product to my computer. Is it possible to have two EZ-Link Bluetooth modules and have them communicate with one another? I am working on a project that involves such a setup.

-jorgepadilla

jorgepadilla

by tdicola on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:43 am

Ah thanks for clarifying, yeah it sounds like the network policy isn't allowing new devices like the CC3000 to access the internet without hitting the registration page. It's allowing you on the network and giving the device an IP address & DNS so that's why it can look up addresses, but once it tries to ping or access web sites it's denied.

There are a couple things I bet you could do. One would be to contact the network support and see if they can allow the CC3000 on the network. They probably just need the MAC address of the device, and you can grab that from the text that buildtest shows when it initializes.

An alternative would be to change the MAC address of the CC3000 to be the same as the MAC address as one of your devices that already has internet access. This could cause a lot of problems, particularly if both devices are on the network at the same time, or maybe even get the devices kicked off the network so be careful. If you want to change the MAC address you can see a commented part of the builtest sketch setup() function that you can uncomment and fill in with any MAC address.

Of the options I would try to go for the first, contacting your network support and asking how you can get a device on the network when you just have the MAC address for it.

For the Bluefruit EZ-link unfortunately no you won't be able to connect two of them to each other. Each one acts as an endpoint that allow connections to themselves, but they don't connect out to other devices. If you want a simple device to device wireless communication option you might check out XBee modems. There's some more good info on them here if you're curious.

tdicola

by jorgepadilla on Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks guys, this really helps! Ill contact my network support and see if they can give me connection. Ill loook into the the XBee modems.

-jorgepadilla

jorgepadilla

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.