Bluefruit EZ-Link Shield & SCR Bluetooth Dongle
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bluefruit EZ-Link Shield & SCR Bluetooth Dongle

by DelEngineer on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello Adafruit!

I'm attempting to send data from my Bluefruit EZ-Link shield to a Windows 7 PC with the CSR8510 USB Bluetooth adapter. The adapter appears to pair correctly. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to establish a usable serial port to transmit data. I'm running into the exact same problems as this previously posted topic, which was never really resolved:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53225

Exactly like this post, the shield appears to pair successfully, but shows "Status: Not Connected" in the properties.

Properties.PNG
Properties.PNG (12.33 KiB) Viewed 2533 times

I have Bluetooth serial ports available created by the CSR, but even if the Arduino is paired with the computer, these serial ports don't show "Standard Serial over Bluetooth Link," but simply show "Bluetooth SPP Driver" like they always do. These serial ports are not receiving any data from the Arduino.

DeviceManager.PNG
DeviceManager.PNG (39.63 KiB) Viewed 2533 times

No, I don't have the defective "3f5a" version of the shield.

Interestingly, I was able to achieve the functionality I wanted on a Macbook Pro laptop: after the shield was paired, the cu.AdafruitEZ-Link serial port was available and automatically sent the serial port data to my custom Python application, which searches available serial ports and finds the Arduino port and reads the data from that port. This demonstrates that there is not a problem with the shield.

My issue also appears similar to this other posted topic. I have already checked for hidden COM ports, and none appeared.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55714&p=281684&hilit=adafruit+not+connected+bluefruit+not+connected#p281684

Any suggestions?

DelEngineer

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link Shield & SCR Bluetooth Dongle

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:19 am

We can try replacing the CSR dongle. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread for a replacement

adafruit_support_rick

by DelEngineer on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

The dongle has been replaced. Thank you for the quick replacement!

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. I cannot connect to the Arduino with any serial ports because all claim to already be in use when I attempt to open the serial monitor:

inuse.PNG
inuse.PNG (14.64 KiB) Viewed 2507 times

Any other suggestions? From my understanding, the Status: Not Connected isn't an issue because it only appears connected during an active solution, but I can't directly communicate with the Arduino at all when the serial ports claim to be occupied. I see this problem popping up all over these forums, but no real solutions. I have already checked for hidden serial ports (there are none other than the three Bluetooth ports), and the "press reset" fix mentioned in this post doesn't help:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56711

I want to also add that I'm developing an Android application which takes the serial data from the Arduino Bluetooth and displays a graph. It works at a baud rate of 9600, but not at the desired baud rate of 57600 or any other baud rate. Any idea why this is occurring? I know the EZ-Link shield should automatically detect baud rates, but is there a way to set it manually or change the default baud rate?

DelEngineer

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:26 pm

What do you see in Device Manager?

The 9600 baud rate is an Android problem, unfortunately.

adafruit_support_rick

by DelEngineer on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Device manager appears exactly the same as the picture in the original post: three Bluetooth SPP Driver ports.

DelEngineer

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:53 pm

This is clearly a Windows problem. I'm not sure we have a fix for it. I'll ask around ...

adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit2 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:56 pm

yay you are experiencing the joy of bluetooth classic on windows - there's a reason everyone hates it :)

when we had this problem we 'fixed' it by deleting paired bluetooth ez-link, then uninstalling the COM ports in device manager and finally uninstalling the CSR bluetooth dongle in device manager
then reboot
then plug in the CSR bluetooth dongle into another USB port

adafruit2
Site Admin

by DelEngineer on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 pm

adafruit2 wrote: when we had this problem we 'fixed' it by deleting paired bluetooth ez-link, then uninstalling the COM ports in device manager and finally uninstalling the CSR bluetooth dongle in device manager
then reboot
then plug in the CSR bluetooth dongle into another USB port

Okay... I tried all combinations of disabling, uninstalling & re-installing the COM ports and the CSR Harmony software, but didn't see any changes in the 'already in use' behavior. Do you have an official set of instructions or forum post describing this problem?

DelEngineer

by adafruit2 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:14 pm

We don't because we haven't had the issue come up in a year. You shouldn't be using CSR harmony tho. use the built in Windows BT stack

adafruit2
Site Admin

by DelEngineer on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 am

So I uninstalled the Harmony software, but couldn't get Windows to use the Bluetooth dongle without it.

However, I noticed in Devices and Printers that the CSR dongle really liked its MotioninJoy software for its "plug-and-play" functionality, so I went into the Device Manager and uninstalled that software. After unplugging and replugging the dongle, it finally installed the dongle as a "normal" Bluetooth device and behaves as described in the Bluefruit Pairing tutorial.

Thank you for your patience, Adafruit!

DelEngineer

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

Glad to hear it!

adafruit_support_rick

by youmi on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi
I'm using for Bluefruit EZ-Link Shield. But I don't know how to use it. I also read your manual. Could you bring me some example code?
And I used to UNO and this shield. When I turn on the bluetooth, Arduino don't upload it. How do I solve these problem?
Please help these problem. I'll be waiting for your answer.

youmi

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:19 am

With the EZ-Link shield plugged into your Uno, set the switch on the shield to "Direct". Pair the shield and your computer. In Arduino, select the serial port of the shield. Then you can upload you sketch normally.

To use the EZ-Lik shield for serial communications, set the switch to "Soft Serial". Solder jumper wires from the STX and SRX pads to the digital IO pads you want to use for software serial.

There is no example code. The EZ-Link shield is not controllable from software.

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.