Fona808 turns off with error saying "OVER-VOLTAGE POWER DOWN
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fona808 turns off with error saying "OVER-VOLTAGE POWER DOWN

by akramkarimi1036 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 am

Hi all,
I am getting into this problem while running FONA808 with 3.7V LiPo battery (purchased from Adafruit). I have double checked battery polarity is ok.
As soon as I turn on the module, Blue light lights up & red LED blinks as normal (Turn on and off). Red LED blinks for almost 3 times, till when I am able to open serial terminal and checking "AT" command which returns "OK".
After almost 3 red blinks; module turns off (Blue/Red LED turns off and serial terminal stops responding) and the serial terminal gives a message "OVER-VOLTAGE POWER DOWN".

I though probably LiPo fully charge voltage of ~4.1V is too much so I tried to power it up with 3.0V (Dual AAA cells) but same error.

I was able to work fine with the FONA808 for few days after which this problem happened.
In the meantime, I also heard some weired blasting voice coming from the board (Although no smoke or heated element observed on the board); I thought that I blew up the module but after that when I restarted the module, the same over-voltage problem sequence occurred.
Any clue, what can be wrong.

Here are my pin connections:
Vio => Vbat
RST=> Left Open

Serial Rx => Fona Rx
Serial Tx => Fona Tx
Serial GND => Fona GND
Serial Vdd => Vbat

Looking forward to your help.
Thanks

akramkarimi1036

Re: Fona808 turns off with error saying "OVER-VOLTAGE POWER

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

The FONA’s 3.3V regulator can handle 4.2V from a LiPo, and AA cells probably won’t work at all. It sounds like there may be some kind of hardware problem though.

Post a well-lit, well-focused photo showing the component side of the FONA please. It’s easier to find signs of damaged components that way. 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.