Fona 800 CPIN Not Inserted and SIM CCID Error
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fona 800 CPIN Not Inserted and SIM CCID Error

by danebeck84 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 am

My Fona 800 has been working fine for the last few months but today started having network connection problems. Watching the boot-up and connection sequence in the serial monitor I see the following:

+CPIN: NOT INSERTED
---> AT+CPMS="SM", "SM", "SM"
<--- ERROR

When I send "C" through the serial port to read the SIM card, I get:

FONA> C
---> AT+CCID
<--- ERROR
SIM CCID = ERROR

So obviously it doesn't like something about the SIM card. Note that all the other functions on both the Fona and Arduino seem to work fine. I can tune into FM radio and the Arduino responds to all other expected inputs and outputs.

A few other things that may or may not be related:

I did some searching and read that this issue can be caused by battery or power supply problems such as brown out. Well it just so happens that I've been troubleshooting some noise issues (I have a lot of other home-made circuits connected to the Arduino and Fona, so the noise could be originating there. However, it's all electrically isolated via transformers, opto-isolaters and a separate power supply) and soldered a large electrolyic and small ceramic cap in parallel with the power supply inputs on the Arduino (USB port solder points). I can't imagine how that would damage anything, unless the gradual charge up of the electrolytic cap can simulate brown out? That seems unlikely to me. I've since desoldered the caps but nothing changed.

I also read that people that have encountered this issue have fixed the problem by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery... Which I have tried multiple times to no effect. Furthermore, querying the battery status shows 4089 mV and 86 percent charge. I don't think the battery is the problem.

Also, I recently took out the SIM and tried swapping it into another GSM phone, then later put it back in the Fona. I can't see how that would have harmed anything.

Any thoughts about what's going on here? Sorry if I rambled a bit but I just want to keep my bases covered.

danebeck84

Re: Fona 800 CPIN Not Inserted and SIM CCID Error

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Details are good.. it’s much easier to test a list of possible causes than to excavate useful information starting from “it doesn’t work.”

Large capacitors put stress on a power supply when a system first powers up.. for the first few microseconds to milliseconds, they’re essentially shorts to GND. That isn’t likely to be a problem for a battery though.

Of all the possible issues you listed, moving the SIM card to another phone is the one that sticks out most. It’s possible for the phone to have saved some kind of new information or settings on the SIM without asking or telling you. As a sanity check, can you connect to the network and get information from the SIM when it’s in that other phone?

adafruit_support_mike

by danebeck84 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks Mike. I removed the capacitors a while ago as they weren't helping my noise problem. As for the SIM card error, it turned out to be intermittent. I eventually got it working after multiple reboots and removing/reinserting the SIM card... but never discovered the root cause of the problem. Possible SIM card misalignment? I'm not too worried about it (at the moment) since it's working again.

danebeck84

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:53 pm

It could be alignment or a bit of crud on one of the contacts.

Glad to hear it’s working for you though. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.