🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

Fona 3G and Google Fi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fona 3G and Google Fi

by dmpyron on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 am

Has anyone made the 3G board work with Google Fi? I'm designing a product and also looking at some international travel and suddenly the two are competing for the small bit of space in my brain dedicated to rational thought. I may take one down to Panama next year and try it on our cruise over the summer.

Using a Pi Zero W and the Fona 3G makes more sense than buying one of the rather pricey cellular modems out there if I'm up for 3G speeds.

dmpyron

Re: Fona 3G and Google Fi

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 am

I've never heard of anyone doing it, and doubt it would work. Google Fi involves network hopping, using Wifi when it's available, and several other things the FONA can't do.

From what I can tell, Fi is only supported for a relatively small group of phones, probably related to the software issues of making that kind of service work.

You might find it easier to use a phone that supports Google Fi as a Wifi hotspot for a Zero-W or a microcontroller with Wifi.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Fona 3G and Google Fi

by dmpyron on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:22 am

Thanks. I was afraid that was the case, although the issues you bring up are even more complex than I suspected.

dmpyron

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.