Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Ring Indicator (RI) pin does not work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ring Indicator (RI) pin does not work

by CaptainGinyu on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:08 am

I am currently using a FONA 3G. So according to the tutorial on Adafruit's site, the Ring Indicator pin is supposed to be high by default and gets pulled to low when an call is received. However, I haven't been able to get the Ring Indicator pin to behave as expected when I tried to use it in my Arduino sketch. I probed it with a multimeter and I found that by default, it seems the Ring Indicator pin is LOW and always remains low. I even tried calling the FONA's sim card. No change to the Ring Indicator pin.

I checked the schematic of the FONA here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fon ... /downloads

The Ring Indicator pin on the SIM5320A chip is pin 69. I probed it with a multimeter, and saw that it is always low, contrary to the expected high by default behavior. I also checked for continuity between pin 69 of the SIM5320A chip and the Ring Indicator pin, and it seems that this pin is not connected to the Ring Indicator pin on the board.

Any ideas on what to try next to debug this? All other functions of the FONA (ie. sending/receiving text, making/receiving phone calls, etc.) work. Just not the Ring Indicator pin.

CaptainGinyu

Re: Ring Indicator (RI) pin does not work

by rskup on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:00 pm

I am also playing around with the FONA 3G, and would like to use this pin someday, and went back and forth between several manuals.

If I'm understanding the manuals correctly, it looks like on this chip, the "ring" pin #69, or UART_RI, is a GPIO pin and can be several things, including a ring indicator. However, looks like by default it is actually set to wake the chip (WAKEUP_HOST), and you would have to use CGFUNC to set it otherwise.

See page 7 of the SimCom manual below for this GPIO info:

http://www.microchip.ua/simcom/WCDMA/AP ... e_V1.1.pdf

Again, just my conclusion from looking at the various Sim5320 docs. My breadboard setup is in pieces currently as I'm making some mods, when it's back together I'll test and post results.

rskup

by rskup on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Just some other stuff that may (or may not) help.

See section 3.3 (RI Pin) of this SimCom doc:

http://www.microchip.ua/simcom/WCDMA/AP ... _V0.02.pdf

rskup

by CaptainGinyu on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 am

According to the http://www.microchip.ua/simcom/WCDMA/AP ... _V0.02.pdf document that you linked, the description of the WAKEUP_HOST mode seems to be the description of the Ring Indicator pin described by the Adafruit tutorial (high by default and pulled low when there's an incoming call).

CaptainGinyu

by rskup on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:37 am

Ug, yes, I agree, this does cast doubt on my earlier conclusion.

However, something odd I noticed last night in Adafruit's pinout description:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fon ... ut/pinouts

It says the RI pin "can be" configured to go low when a call is received, which sounds like something must be enabled first.

One more thing that may help, from the big 5320 AT manual, AT+CRIRS, from the description it sounds like it resets the RI pin for use? May be worth looking at.

Again, like I say, just my thoughts trying to interpret the docs, not based on tests.

Am hoping to get time in the next day or two to get my Feather and Fona 3G soldered back together (am stuffing it all into an old rotary phone) and test out this RI pin and see if it works like yours or not, will let you know.

rskup

by CaptainGinyu on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm

One thing that I forgot to mention that during the process of debugging, I had attempted to unsolder/resolder the Ring Indicator pin once or twice in the event that I just had happened to solder the pin badly the first time. However, if it is the case that my soldering job was terrible, that wouldn't explain why I don't see the default high behavior when I try to probe the ring indicator pin that's directly on SIM5320A chip itself.

CaptainGinyu

by rskup on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

Hey Captain, got some soldering done last night, but may need another day or two.

If you're playing around with your board some evening, try this command:

AT+CFGRI?

What do you get as the reply?

rskup

by rskup on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Hey Cap, got everything soldered back together, and didn't smoke either board, bonus!

I soldered a wire from the FONA RI to a pinout on my Feather board, and just read that FONA RI continuously while testing different things to figure this out.

Interestingly, after the FONA first powered up, the RI was also low (0), just like yours.

However, I found out this RI needs to be reset after each call to work correctly, turning the FONA 3G off/on does not reset it.

First do this to check your RI pin is enabled, enter:

AT+CFGRI?

Hopefully you get "1,O" or "1,1" as the reply (otherwise, not sure what to do if you don't get either of those).

Now enter the below, no question mark:

AT+CRIRS

This resets the RI, you should get a "1" now reading your RI pinout.

Now when you call your FONA, the RI pinout will go low, and stay low, even after you end the call. You have to enter that AT+CRIRS command to reset the pin to high after the call. Again, I found turning the FONA off/on does not reset the RI oddly.

Ok, that's all I have for now, if I learn anything else that's good to know about this RI thing I'll post it.

rskup

by rskup on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

Update....if you want the much more sensible only go low during ringing, stay high all other times, enter the following:

AT+CGFUNC=17,1

Ok, I think that covers it!

rskup

by CaptainGinyu on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:59 am

Wow, thanks! I finally got a chance to try out your suggestion today, and it worked! The AT+CGFUNC=17,1 thing worked! (Although the AT+CRIRS didn't work... but that doesn't matter, because AT+CGFUNC=17,1 worked)

I find it interesting that no one else besides me seemed to have posted about this issue in the past despite how long the Fona has been out. Maybe we can get an admin or something to update the Fona 3G tutorial so that other people don't get confused about this?

CaptainGinyu

by rskup on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:07 am

It is kinda funny isn't it, you may be the first person who tested this! I looked around a bit and found a feedback link for the tutorial and sent in the CGFUNC info, will see what happens.

rskup

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.