List of supported wireless carriers (foina808)

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mrbandit_stg

List of supported wireless carriers (foina808)

Post by mrbandit_stg »

Greetings:

I have a sim808. I have gps and However, I am having problems finding a wireless carrier who supports the device.

I got a TING card from y'all, and there are forum threads on how TING is no longer supporting the device.
I then tried "Total Wireless". They do not support it.

So: I am in a quandary. I don't want to randomly try all possible carriers. I am in a bit of a rush - I have a week or so to solve this problem.
If I cannot solve it, I will also look bad for my new boss.

Can you please give a list of the carriers that support the fona808?
According to viewtopic.php?f=54&t=182671 - Sierra Wireless does not work.

Please advise.

mrbandit_stg

Re: List of supported wireless carriers (foina808)

Post by mrbandit_stg »

According to https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fon ... ning-a-sim:

quote:
A 2G Mini SIM card is required to use the module. Nearly any cell phone shop can sell you a SIM card. It must be a 2G GSM card. AT&T in the US does not sell these anymore! They are shutting down their GSM network, and only T-mobile sells and supports a GSM network. If you are in another country, chances are you can just ask for a GSM 2G card.

Are you planning on a rev of the board that does not have this problem?

Please advise ... bandit

mrbandit_stg

Post by mrbandit_stg »

I just got a pre-pay T-mobile 2Gigsbyte sim card. I tried to activate it, and was told the "magic" number is not supported.

I am going to be forced to get the
Adafruit FONA 3G Cellular Breakout - American version - Without Free Ting Sim Card
PRODUCT ID: 2687
$79.95

Sadly, I already soldered berg pins on it. I assume this means adafruit will not take it back, despite being useless. (I am within the 30 days)

I greatly advise adafruit to stop selling it as a GSM card.. It works for GPS. I also have a TING sim card that is used (popped off the big card), so I assume I need to eat that $10 also.

This means I am out $60, and the $25 data plan for Total Wireless, plus the $10 TING sim, plus the $25 for the T-Mobile card (which I may be able to use in the Adafruit FONA 3G Cellular Breakout PRODUCT ID: 2687 $79.95)

Please advise.

mrbandit_stg

Post by mrbandit_stg »

I am forced to get the SIM5320A version: Adafruit FONA 3G Cellular Breakout - American version - Without Free Ting Sim Card PRODUCT ID: 2687
Does the TING SIM work with it? (I assume so, but already been bit.)

Also, the ID 2687 page says:
Please note! We've had a lot of requests for a 3G cell module and we're happy to oblige but this module has many small differences between it and the FONA 800 and 808, so it is not a drop-in replacement! In particular the data functionality is not as easy to use. We are adapting our FONA library to support the 3G chipset and right now we have SMS, calling, and basic functionality working but it will be a while until we get full GPRS TCP/IP and HTTP support.
Is this still true? I just need SMS or the equivalent. I don't need the HTTP support. I don't know about TCP/IP - it was not a specific requirement.

Please advise... bandit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”