FONA charging large LiPo batteries

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LinuxHippy

Re: FONA charging large LiPo batteries

Post by LinuxHippy »

tnts wrote:install this fona basic project that is in a tutorial / library and push every half an hour

That sounds safer than using a multimeter.

If we are working on the same project (the TYOS piphone) then u may find this interesting. I had shapeways print the 3D case in the instructables comments for the RPI 3 and it has a separate compartment for a cylindrical battery. It was made for the wider 26650 battery without a battery holder, but I want to put a battery holder in there (I think it's safer) and the 18650 should work but I'll know in a couple days.

I've decided to put the RPI A+ in there as the openings for HDMI, micro USB, and audio jack are the same but the A+ board is shorter. The A+ will sip on this battery with the fona and should give me at least a day. I'm also gonna run this as a hotspot rather than a phone...but it could do both. Here's what it looks like with the RPI 3:

encased-front-scaled.jpg
encased-front-scaled.jpg (128.76 KiB) Viewed 554 times

tnts

Post by tnts »

looks very nice - I will be working on enclosure for my toy later :)
In my case its a tracker device, but I am looking for maximum lifetime on battery.
I am just in the middle of experiment with my battery. Looks like I will have to remove all leds (I count each led 20-30mA... way too much).

LinuxHippy

Post by LinuxHippy »

I want to put 1 or 2 LEDs in mine also. I haven't thought too much about it but I was thinking a power LED for the entire phone and an LED for the fona...I'm not sure what that'll be. Adafruit has a nice command where u can switch off the TFT lights also. I made 2 scripts-one on and one off-and want to have a simple push button that will control this.

tnts

Post by tnts »

oki - I meant all leds - including two on arduino and this blue on fona saying "power on".

LinuxHippy

Post by LinuxHippy »

where is the tutorial u mentioned that gives voltage? I'm looking around and not finding anything.

tnts

Post by tnts »

tnts

Post by tnts »

probably you have rasp.pi not arduino. If you will have problems with compiling something with this library then just look in the code...
there is this: AT+CBC

LinuxHippy

Post by LinuxHippy »

Ah, AT+CBC-I've been doing that for weeks to get the battery % but I never look at the other #s. Thanks!

tnts

Post by tnts »

whatever you will do - double, triple check the battery polarity - if reversed then it will fry the charger (i know - i did it - that's why I know the charger part - had to replace this part)

LinuxHippy

Post by LinuxHippy »

I think I already did that with an Adafruit JST extension cable. The wires were the same color on both sides but maybe that connector crossed things. All I know for sure is that it powered on like normal one time, but when I shut down and restarted-no power lights.

I started another thread with a link to the thread I read here about resetting the FONA. I bought another but may have a backup if I can get the first one working again. Here's the link to my post where I put the other link:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=121498

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”