FONA 3G Supported US Carriers

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
prettypangolin

FONA 3G Supported US Carriers

Post by prettypangolin »

I'm working on my first project using a cellular modem and am still learning the current state of cellular networks. My project requires me to be able to send/receive sms over the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint networks. I've read all the docs and searched the forums, but it's not clear whether the 3G FONA has the right support - can anyone confirm which US carriers the 3G FONA actually supports?

smgs

Re: FONA 3G Supported US Carriers

Post by smgs »

best way to check is to read the description of the product which includes the frequency/band that the America FONA 3g runs on and compare that with the frequency/band the telco carriers support etc, from the Description of the America FONA 3G it says it supports the following:

Quad-band 850MHz GSM, 900MHz EGSM, 1800MHz DCS, 1900MHz PCs - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM.
This is the American Version dual-band UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900MHz WCDMA + HSDPA

Looks like someone has made a list of carrier band support on wikipedia too, might be helpful to you, looks like you are okay on Sprint and obviously whoever backs Ting as they come as a standard option from Adafruit with the America 3G versions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_ ... _in_the_US

What sort of project are you trying to do? Sounds like it should be fairly straight forward if you ar emostly just using the well documented and supported options of sending and receiving SMS.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”