Roaming with Hologram sim on FONA-Feather

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
colemanjj

Roaming with Hologram sim on FONA-Feather

Post by colemanjj »

I've been using the FONA-Feather with other sims (e.g. Ting) but would like to switch some of my units to hologram sims. My hologram sim activated fine and shows as active on the Hologram web site.
However, in communicating with the FONA-Feather, the AT+CREG=3,1 command returns CREG: 0,5 , i.e. ROAMING.
I get an ip number and the hologram console shows that the sim is active. The roaming status causes the connection to eventually fail when I try to send data using TCP to Ubidots. The error is "STATE: PDP DEACT" and "CONNECT FAIL" in response to the AT+CIPSTART command.

I've spent a day or so searching and trying to fix this and found a post about the ROAMING problem on a FONA by BaldEngineer at:
https://www.baldengineer.com/hologram-i ... -mqtt.html
I appreciate his work but I can't really understand his solution, can't get it to work, and not sure it is a solution for me since I'm using the FONA-Feather.

Anyone out there with a solution or suggestion on how to deal with roaming on the hologram sim when using the FONA-feather? At this point I'm tempted to just go back to using other sims but I hate to give up on Hologram since it looks like a great product.
thanks, john

colemanjj

Re: Roaming with Hologram sim on FONA-Feather

Post by colemanjj »

After a few days, I worked out a solution with the help of some others on the internet. For the solution see my post on this forum at: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=135323#p674341
or for more detail at the hologram forum:
https://community.hologram.io/t/roaming ... u=colemanj

Hope my struggles are a help to other that are trying to use the hologram sim with the FONA-Feather . What I figured out works but I hope someone else figures out a more elegant solution,
john

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”