New to FONA Need to Send Temperature to Adafruit Feed

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dale_Automation

New to FONA Need to Send Temperature to Adafruit Feed

Post by Dale_Automation »

New to Cellular
Just completed a project using the ESP 8266 Breakout board to send a temp to an Adafruit feed. Works great. The Adafruit tutorials were most helpful.

Now I want to do the same thing using the FONA 3G breakout board.
I am using I2C to port my data to the FONA 3G. Can someone point me to a tutorial for data uploading?
I expect to get a SIM card from a local carrier here in Canada with Data. The piece I am missing is how to connect to the Adafruit feed.

One question I have is, do these products have enterprise level security?

Thanks for your help,
Dale.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: New to FONA Need to Send Temperature to Adafruit Feed

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The FONA 3G isn't programmable on its own. You need to connect it to a microcontroller that gives it commands.

The FONA doesn't communicate with I2C at all.. doesn't even have the necessary pins. It uses a Serial connection through its TX and RX pins.

The microcontroller you connect to the FONA is the part that will need to read the data you want to upload. If you have a lot of data from some other source, it will probably be easiest to use an SD card.
Dale_Automation wrote:One question I have is, do these products have enterprise level security?
No. The ESP8266 doesn't support WEP, and the FONA doesn't have any kind of Wifi connection.

Dale_Automation

Re: New to FONA Need to Send Temperature to Adafruit Feed

Post by Dale_Automation »

Mike,

Thanks for your help. I just got my FONA card today.

For the Communications my micro Controller has a UART port with TX, RX . I see the FONA uses AT Commands. I am somewhat familiar with these.
From here I should be good, as you have such good tutorials.

Dale.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”