How to exit AT mode on the FONA 3G>>Pi CLI

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mustang65

How to exit AT mode on the FONA 3G>>Pi CLI

Post by mustang65 »

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B and a FONA 3G (Ting sim card). I am able to send a text from the FONA 3G to my smart phone and I can ping Adafruit.com with the GPRS. I have searched with no luck to find the proper method of exiting the AT mode to get back to the Raspberry command prompt. I will be using this setup to send me a text message at 8PM each day and then update my website SQL dB with the hourly data from that day at 12:01AM.

The only way that I have found to exit the 3G AT mode is to pull the USB plug from the Pi. There has to be an AT command to accomplish this. I then get [screen is terminating], just need to get the screen command to accomplish this.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: How to exit AT mode on the FONA 3G>>Pi CLI

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you mean you want to end the `screen` session that talks to the FONA, hit control-A then 'k', then 'y'.

`screen` has to use what's called an 'out of band' control interface because it needs to be able to send most keyboard input to the process `screen` is talking to. Control-A is the "I want to talk to `screen` itself" signal, and the 'k' (case shouldn't matter) is the 'kill' command. You'll get a prompt asking if you really want to terminate the session, and hitting 'y' confirms that you do want to quit.

mustang65

Post by mustang65 »

Outstanding, worked perfectly... not sure where I got ctl+q
Thank you very much
Don

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear that did the trick.

Control-Q would probably be from the `nano` screen editor, but 'nix programs have a wild range of out-of-band control options:

https://www.xkcd.com/378/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”