Fona 3G - Problem Receiving Calls

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rmlait

Fona 3G - Problem Receiving Calls

Post by rmlait »

I am trying to use a FONA 3G module as part of a retro phone conversion. I have been struggling to get the FONA to receive calls, and have been partially successful, but something is preventing the FONA module from receiving a call.

To eliminate other portions of the project from the troubleshooting I decided to disconnect the module and simply connect it to an Arduino Uno and use the Adafruit Fona Test program. so that I could better determine what setting I have managed to bungle.

1) I am using the 3G capable SIM from my primary Cell Phone to ensure that I have an active account that I know works.
2) Arduino Uno to interface to the FONA 3G US module
3) The FONA Test program to see what's what...

Everything appears to be working when I power up and open the serial console. The Arduino Uno finds and resets the FONA 3G.
The FONA reports that it has connected to the home network
The FONA 3G CAN and DOES make outgoing calls.

All good up to this point, but when I try to call the FONA I see and hear no indication that the call is coming through. Even more strange, I don't hear anything from my landline when making the call. Just silence. No ringing.
- If I check the network status it shows that it is still connected to the home network.
- If I hang up the dialing phone I can call it from the FONA, so I know that it is still connected to the network
- If I shut down, move the SIM from the FONA to my Cell Phone I can make and receive calls from my Cell Phone, and of course when I call my cell phone from another phone, everything seems perfectly normal.

Quite confident that the problem is between the keyboard and chair, but am hoping that someone can point me to a likely 5230 setting that is probably not set correctly.

As a side problem, I notice that when I make a call from the FONA that the Audio in the speaker is full of static. Usable, but not quite like one would expect. I did try some of the noise-canceling settings but did not find the one that made a difference. Any help with that setting would be appreciated.

I do have and am trying to find the answers within the copy of the 5320 AT Command Set documentation.)

Any help with the above two issues would be appreciated.

Thank You.

rmlait

Re: Fona 3G - Problem Receiving Calls

Post by rmlait »

Problem resolved, but not with an exact cause/fix identified.

The solution was to issue the SIM5320 a factory reset command: AT&F (Set all current parameters to manufacturer defaults.)
--On the plus side, after issuing the command the module is able to receive incoming calls.
--On the less satisfying side, I still don't know exactly which register setting and/or other condition was at the root of the problem...

For what it is worth I thought it might have been the AT+CFBDMTCALL (Forbid new incoming voice call), however that is at least one of the settings that I did check before resetting the 5320 registers.

Oh well, perhaps I will figure out the root cause later.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Fona 3G - Problem Receiving Calls

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It's hard to tell exactly what causes most issues like that. In general, a value that makes things stop working gets stored someplace, either as the result of direct action by the user or as a side effect of a glitch, and the standard control commands don't provide a way to fix the problem. Doing a reset and forcing the system to drop back to a known-working state is the most effective way to clear out such problems.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”