FONA not connecting AT+CREG 0,3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FONA not connecting AT+CREG 0,3

by jpuigdef on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 am

Hi, we operate several fona808, all of them with success except for one that suddenly ceased to connect to the network. When testing it with the FONATest utility, we see that when attempting to connect to the network it starts responding AT+CREG 0,2 (searching) for some time and then it falls into AT+CREG 0,3 (access denied).

The same SIM works fine on other FONA's, and other SIMS (even from other providers) do not change this behaviour.
The CCID of the SIM is correctly read, the battery is fine and works well with other FONAs, and the RSSI signal strength is correct (-78dBm)
We tried to send ATZ, restart, remove batt, etc, without success.

We would appreciate any suggestion on this issue.

Thanks

jpuigdef

Re: FONA not connecting AT+CREG 0,3

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 am

Have you tried swapping antennas?

From the list of things that do work, my first suspect would be a weak signal making it impossible for the FONA to finish its authentication with the cell tower. The RSSI only tells you how well the FONA can hear the tower, not how well the tower can hear the FONA.

adafruit_support_mike

by jpuigdef on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 am

thanks Mike,

yes I've tried to swap antennas without success (the antennas were working fine in other fonas in the same location).

I also noticed during one of the trials that RSSI dropped without any apparent reason to -115dBm. Would that mean that de fona hardware itself is failing?

The fona was working fine for some months (october19-april20) and then suddenly ceased to connect.

Thanks
joan

jpuigdef

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:13 am

It's possible that something in the FONA is starting to go bad, yes. I'm afraid it's outside our 30-day return/replace period though.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.