read cell signal strength from uP
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

read cell signal strength from uP

by timbocodd on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:31 am

Hi, I'm interested in being able to monitor all available cell signals to compare and record.
I would imagine that using a cell breakout board is going to be the most straightforward way
without pulling out some heavy duty RF equipment.

I'm at the initial stages of the project and still have a lot to learn. For example, what
are all of the distinct types of cell transmissions being sent out and I might want to monitor?
Do they fall into the GSM, CDMA, TDMA type? Are the 2G, 3G, 4G distinct too and may
require a different breakout module?

OK, I'll assume that I can buy 2G and 3G cell breakouts from AdaFruit and obtain some
RSSI data through the interface, but do I need to have an account with a carrier to use
these breakouts for this purpose?

I have been doing this type of monitoring for WIFI and know that I don't need to connect
to an access point for my wireless adapter to provide me RSSI info on all zones. I'm hoping
that the situation is similar. I'm not interested in hacking a connection..simply showing and
recording tower signal strength.

I'm ready to develop code for a microprocessor to access and obtain this information.

I would appreciate any help in understanding what I'm up against and how I might
proceed. Thanks in advance.

timbocodd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.