FONA 2G & Ting : Getting new SIM card activated.

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim_lee

FONA 2G & Ting : Getting new SIM card activated.

Post by jim_lee »

Just went through the Ting deal getting a new SIM card up and running for a 2G FONA Feather.

You can't do it through their website form. It says that the phone type is incompatible and you are done.

But..

I already have a running FONA Feather cellphone using a Ting SIM card. So, I talked to them on their online chat thing. They came up with, "Its a general purpose card, so we can just enable it and see what happens". Actually, I had an out of date card and they offered to send me a new one. Today I got the new card, went back on their chat thing and they blindly activated my new card.

Works fine!

So don't worry, be happy. You can still get 2G Ting cards and get them activated at Ting, if you spend some time chatting with them.

-jim lee

mikeysklar

Re: FONA 2G & Ting : Getting new SIM card activated.

Post by mikeysklar »

Jim,

Thanks for sharing the good news that it is still possible to get the Ting cards activated via chat.

You probably have also seen the list of alternative vendors to purchase a Mini SIM GSM card from.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fon ... ning-a-sim

doyle1en

Post by doyle1en »

I had a similar issue with Ting, but they different really offer a solution via chat. I plan on using a different provider for my sim card, most likely Verizon. I just want to double-check though since I ordered the FONA808 + Ting Card with the purchase, would that same FONA board work with a different sim or is it only compatible with the free ting card?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Our site recommends T-Mobile.
In the US, AT&T no longer sells 2G SIMs! We suggest T-Mobile or T-Mobile "distributors
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fon ... ning-a-sim

Can't say that it will work with Verizon based on our docs and posts.

doyle1en

Post by doyle1en »

Thank you for the advice, I will try T-Mobile then. So since I'm using a different sim card than purchased with the FONA 808 (bought the bundle with the TIng Sim), do I need to order another FONA 808 or is the one I originally bought okay to work with the new sim?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I think T-mobile will let you know if they have an issue (say with the EIN), but i'm under the impression with SIM culture you are able to freely switch between providers without issue.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”