2G going away -what to do?

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KFbuilder32

2G going away -what to do?

Post by KFbuilder32 »

I was about to order a TING 2G sim card for a project and noticed the warning that 2G is going away throughout this year. I talked to TING (very personable support) and they confirmed that their current GSM sim card is for a 4G LTE GSM system. This is all Greek to me so I'm playing catch up in learning a new language. All I need is a simple, low cost FONA to integrate with a PiZero Budget Pack to turn a switch on and off and will work with the current TING offering. TING also said that if I can get the (banned word??) # for the device I can verify that it will work on their system (https://ting.com/mobile/check_device). Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

rskup

Re: 2G going away -what to do?

Post by rskup »

I wish Adafruit had a FONA 4G (as I really like my FONA 3G, #2687), but if they do I sure haven't found it. However, they do carry LTE products, like the Boron LTE, #3998. Just search "LTE" to see them all.

siddacious

Post by siddacious »

KFbuilder32: Did you try to say : eye emm eee eye?

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

Yes sir - didn't know it to be a bad word until now. :)

jayrabe

Post by jayrabe »

Why is it a bad word?

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

I typed it as it is normally written and the system wouldn't allow the message to go because it was an "bad" word. (I forget what it claimed I.M.E. I to be but it was equivalent to being a bad word.)

siddacious

Post by siddacious »

We've had to ban a number of words due to someone spamming the forum with ads for all sorts of stuff which is probably why. I'll refer to that type of number as "Shpongle" for now.

As far as I understand, your shpongle is associated with the SIM card so I'm not sure how you'd check something that you don't have yet.

I would suggest emailing [email protected] and explain that you're trying verify with ting that the SIM will work before you purchase one and they can let you know what your options are.

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

Thanks - I've sent them an email.

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

No reply to my email as of yet.

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

18 Nov 2020 - still no response to my email. Hmmmmm.

jensa

Post by jensa »

I would like to second the wish of @KFbuilder32. Adafruit really should make a 4G LTE FONA module. Due to 2G getting turned off in 2025 and 3G already being turned off in Europe it's a requirement and a true void in Adafruit's portefolio.

I have used these these SIM7600E-H modules as my current solution with this library but I would much rather get an Adafruit supported FONA board. The Chinese 7600 modules work, but the software solution is poor and the support is non existent. The SIM7500 and SIM7600 series behave quite similar, so it should be fairly easy to create a product based on these. One problem I can see is the module size. They are 32 x 32mm (1.26 x 1.26 inch) so they won't fit on a Feather. Would still be a good solution as a breakout and Arduino module.

J

hsusmann

Post by hsusmann »

I am very confused as to what I need to get a cell phone data connection set up with adafruit.io.
I read that the old FONA 800 and/or 808 adafruit boards will no longer work in the US after the
end of 2020 because they use the old 2G network which will no longer be supported I guess
by anyone after 2020?

First of all, is this correct?

If correct, I can go with an adafruit 3G Fona board but I read in the product description
that the arduino library support is not finished yet. Is this correct? There is no date associated
with that part of the description so don't know if this is old information or not.

Bottom line is, if I buy an adafruit 3G Fona breakout board will I be able to send data
to adafruit.io via MQTT? If so, what SIM card do I need to get that won't be phased out any time
soon.

Thanks!
Herb, Ithaca NY

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

We don't have a great solution right now, we have to do investigation into LTE modules - you could try using Particle cellular boards - tht would be using their own service for now

KFbuilder32

Post by KFbuilder32 »

After several weeks without a response to my email I short circuited the problem and bought a commercial unit. Hated to do so as I was looking forward to the learning experience. Such is life. Thanks for all of the responses.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”