Feather fFONA, more serial ports?

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim_lee

Feather fFONA, more serial ports?

Post by jim_lee »

I notice that the Feather FONA is using softwareSerial for talking to the SIM800 chip. Is it possible to ad another softwareSerial port ao I can ad a sensor to this thing? I'd like to use the hardware serial port for debugging.

-jim lee

jim_lee

Re: Feather fFONA, more serial ports?

Post by jim_lee »

Is anyone left out there?

Trying to setup a softwareSerial TX pin 12, RX pin 10. Is there some reason this won't work? 'Cause, as far as I can tell, it ain't working.

-jim lee

rskup

Post by rskup »

I'm just a beginner with the software serial library, but according to below there are limitations what pins can be used on an Uno, so maybe there are similar pin limitations with the feather fona:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/softwareSerial

Then found this below on how to set up two software serial ports, maybe between the link above and the link below you'll find something that will work:

https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Software-Serial/

jim_lee

Post by jim_lee »

Well thanks for that. I found the original Arduino reference as well. And, found that, like a lot of those references, they tend to lack details that you end up needed to solve issues with using them. Drives ya' batty!

What I need to know is specific to the FONA Feather. I'm not having any luck getting this stuff to work.

sigh..

-jim lee

rskup

Post by rskup »

Sounds like you tried the two software-serial ports example in the previous post and tried picking pairs?

I had a feather (p/n 2771) with the 32u4 chip (like the Fona feather has) on the bench gathering dust and experimented with it until I found two pairs of pins that worked, 9-10 and 11-12.

Anyways, still tinkering with it all trying to understand the details, but I am able to send data (from the hardware serial port) to each software serial port.

Thinking since both feathers have the same 32u4 chip you'll be able to find two working pairs of pins also.

jim_lee

Post by jim_lee »

Just got a reply from adafruit_support_bill on the Feather section.
On 32U4 based boards, Serial is the USB/Serial port. Serial1 is TTL Serial over the Rx & Tx pins.
This make it a moot question because I can just use Serial1 that has pins. I was under the impression that Serial & Serial1 were the same -> USB port.

Thanks!

-jim lee

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”