FONA Stopped Responding??
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FONA Stopped Responding??

by jwhance on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:39 am

I have a FONA module that was connected to a Raspberry Pi using the Adafruit USB serial port cable. I was using it that way for quite some time and didn't have any issues. I recently had another need for FONA communication and decided to revive the project but I found that I was unable to communicate with the FONA module. Any attempt to get a response from the FONA either led to nothing visible on the console or a "junk" character.

After some time I decided to take the Pi out of the equation and just hooked it up directly to the USB serial port cable but that was not successful either. After looking at the Rx/Tx pins with my scope, I saw only a pulse every so often on the Rx line coming from the FONA.

I've tried different USB cables like an FTDI and a different Pi but I can't get anything resembling a normal response from the FONA. I've also checked my USB serial cables and my Pi serial ports and all are working as expected.

Are you aware of anything that might cause this behavior in the FONA? Yes, I've tied the Vio and the Key pins to the correct places but those don't have any effect.

jwhance

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.