Minimal Voltage Supply

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
_mirk

Minimal Voltage Supply

Post by _mirk »

Can the Fona 3g run on 3.0 Volts? I only found the recommended minimal Voltage, in the Datasheet, which would be 3.3 Volts, but my LiPo Battery would run from 3.7 to 3.0 Volts.

blnkjns

Re: Minimal Voltage Supply

Post by blnkjns »

Most GSM modules are taylored for battery use, either LiPo or LiIon. Both are roughly 3,7 V with some margin, little higher totally full, around 4V, little lower when near empty. I think you already want to stop draining the battery before it goes as low as 3.0 V.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Mirk, are you concerned that if the LIPO gets below 3.3 volts you might ruin the FONA 3G? I've run my LIPO battery too low a couple times and the FONA just got "flaky" and soon afterwards shut off, then ran fine again after charging the battery.

If by chance you're wondering can the board work using 3 volt logic, then yes, my FONA 3G is paired to an Adafruit Feather (#2771) and works just fine.

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

3V is perfect for feathers and M0/M4's etc, but it might be too low for the cellular antenna. But you can never ruin it with a too low voltage. It will return to normal operation when the voltage gets high again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”