Issues with sending texts via FONA 3G

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andrewbaseball

Issues with sending texts via FONA 3G

Post by andrewbaseball »

I purchased the Adafruit Fona 3G with Ting Sim card on 8/19/21 with the necessary accessories (cellular antenna, battery, etc) [ORDER #2638382-3815973614]. I am able to send texts and calls from my phone to the FONA 3G, however I am unable to send calls and texts from the FONA to any other devices. I am currently using the FONAtest code from the default Adafruit library and have uncommented the proper code for the 3G (Adafruit_FONA_3G fona = Adafruit_FONA_3G(FONA_RST). I have also ran the FONA3G_setbaud sketch. The FONA 3G is hooked up to an Arduino Pro Mini 3.3v via pins 2, 3, and 4 for RX, TX, and RST respectively. Everything else functions properly, such as reading the battery voltage. In the sketch serial menu, my Network Status 1 is Registered (home).

When I attempt to call (c) or send an SMS (s), the serial monitor appears to get stuck after typing in a phone number. It does not register any new information after I press enter. I have tried several variations of my number, including the +1 country code for the US. If I type my number in several times, I receive a string of random characters (shown below). I talked with Ting support, and Ting stated that it was retiring its 3G networks in December and the receiving end for the cell towers may not be functioning properly to allow me to send texts from the FONA 3G. Is this true? Nothing on Adafruit's website states this change, unlike the "FONA Mini Cellular GSM Breakout uFL Version." The Ting SIM listing on Adafruit states that it works with 3G, so both the FONA and the SIM should be working on 3G now, not 2G. Attached are some photos of my wiring. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_1588.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg (667.12 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (15.06 KiB) Viewed 634 times
IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_1589.jpg (815.49 KiB) Viewed 635 times

Tkall

Re: Issues with sending texts via FONA 3G

Post by Tkall »

Did you hold "key" on the fona low to turn it on? (I think that's correct, look in the tutorial)

andrewbaseball

Post by andrewbaseball »

Yes, sorry that it's not pictured, but I have been able to turn it off and on by tying the key pin to ground. I am able to get the Net LED to blink, showing that it is connected to cellular, and it does connect to cellular because I am receiving messages on it.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If the carriers are dismantling 3G support in your area, there could be problems at the network level.

It might also be a matter of signal strength. You might be in a location where your FONA can hear the tower, but the tower can’t hear your FONA. Try sending messages from other locations and see if that has any effect.

andrewbaseball

Post by andrewbaseball »

Hi Mike,

I think it must be the 3G support then. From the Adafruit guide,
You can ask the FONA for the signal strength with the command i. The reply is a number, but you can convert it to dBm. Try to have the signal strength higher than 5 in order to make calls, SMSs, etc. In this case, I've got a 10
When I did this, I got a very high signal strength, somewhere between 14-17 if I recall correctly. Is there anything else I can do to get this working, or does it simply not work with Ting service providers anymore? If so, am I able to return the module?

Thanks,

Andrew

adafruit_support_mike

Signal strength tells you how well the FONA can hear the tower.

It’s usually okay to assume the connections are equally good both ways, but isn’t always true. As a sanity check, can the FONA make outgoing calls or use other network features from where you are?

andrewbaseball

Post by andrewbaseball »

No, unfortunately I can't make calls from it. I am able to connect to calls when I call the FONA from my phone at the same location, but I cannot call my phone from the FONA.

adafruit_support_mike

That’s consistent with the FONA’s signal being too weak for the tower to hear reliably. See if you can get outgoing call support from another location.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Andrew,

Just some thoughts, before you hooked up the FONA to the Mini, did you try running the FONA from a laptop or pc just using the USB connection (described under "Direct USB Connection" in the FONA 3G tutorial)? Was it able to make calls then? It might be good to test the FONA at its simplest first.

Second question...looks like in the pic you're using the USB to power the FONA with the Mini connected to it?

I've also been running a FONA 3G with 3V logic using an Adafruit Feather for many months now, but with no USB hookup (or anything connected to the FONA's 5V pin either).

If your FONA works with just the Direct USB Connection as in the tutorial, then hook back up the Mini, and disconnect the USB. The FONA should still run like mine does (guessing you have 3V on Vio and a gnd, kinda hard to tell from the pic).

I'm wondering that since one can communicate with the FONA over USB or the TX/RX pins that having both connected confuses the FONA??? Maybe that's why you're seeing the odd characters also??

Again, just some thoughts.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”