FONA 3G Not registering on network

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mihai93

FONA 3G Not registering on network

Post by mihai93 »

I am having some issues with an Adafruit FONA 3G(European Version) Module.
When connecting directly to the PC (via USB ) only the charging LED turns on, but the module does respond to AT command , it is not registering on any network or making any connection.
When connecting to my Arduino UNO( following the instructions on the site) I get both LEDs (NET and PWR ) to turn on but they stay on(NET does not blink) . When checking AT+CREG it returns 0. AT+CFUN returns 7 and there is no way to force it to register on the network. Only getting errors when trying to send AT+CFUN=1.
I am using a SIM card from Orange BANNED( currently in BANNED) .If I take the SIM out of the FONA and put it into a Smartphone it works perfectly. I have also tested with another SIM -same result (SIMs were without PIN).
Also the SIM worked before (when I first got the FONA i tried direct connection and i could make calls and send SMS ).I have also tried returning FONA to factory settings with AT&F1 and i also reset it with AT+CRESET ,still no result.
Attachments
20210902_180050.jpg
20210902_180050.jpg (842.54 KiB) Viewed 586 times
20210902_180053.jpg
20210902_180053.jpg (802.58 KiB) Viewed 586 times
20210902_180042.jpg
20210902_180042.jpg (878.4 KiB) Viewed 586 times

rskup

Re: FONA 3G Not registering on network

Post by rskup »

Hi mihai93,

You mentioned no network LED lighting up when operating the FONA via "Direct USB Connection". I also seemed to recall the same when first testing my FONA the same way and did some digging in the tutorial...note under "Bottom Breakouts", the "Vio" section, it discusses this and seems to confirm what you have seen and what I seem to remember.

As far as being hooked up to the Uno now and no network connection, have you tried the "AT+COPS=?" command to see what networks are available? I think this would let you know whether the antenna and FONA is at least receiving signals.

mihai93

Post by mihai93 »

Hello,

In the direct connection it mentions no other need for external power (Just using the usb)-also first time I connected the FONA (first out of the box) every LED turned on and the NET one blinked ,but now in direct connection I can communicate via Terminal , and the FONA responds but no connection to network.
I the case of connecting to UNO the AT+COPS? command returns 0 and AT+COPS=? returns just the range of values it can have. With further testing with the command AT+COPN returns the networks but when trying to force connection with AT+CPOL it just hangs. nothing happens ,when trying to send another command it returns OK and doesn;t change the network.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hey mihai,

When I use "AT+COPS=?" on my FONA-3G (american version) I get the carriers in my area, T-Mobile and AT&T. So something sounds wrong to me if you're not getting any carrier names with that command.

Not claiming to be an expert on COPN, but my understanding of AT+COPN was it returned a list of carriers the 5320 can work with and is stored on the chip.

Can any other Fona folks out there confirm/deny my understanding of the COPN command??

By the way, don't know if you use the big Simcom 5320 manual, but maybe there's a command in there to help you troubleshoot:

https://simcom.ee/documents/SIM5320/SIM ... _V2.05.pdf

Middle of page 81 shows an example of using "AT+COPS=?" and how the info returned would look.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Yep, me again,

Found something in the big Simcom 5320 manual above, see page 50, if you're getting CFUN = 7 (like you mentioned above) that you need to send "AT+CFUN=6" to reset the module.

Sounds like after that reset you can send AT+CFUN=1

Hope it works!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”