Feather M0 Proto & Ethernet FeatherWing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather M0 Proto & Ethernet FeatherWing

by jaycollett on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm

I was hoping for some help with this combo and connecting to IO. I can't get any of the examples to connect to Adafruit IO, the MQTT example just outputs "Connection Failed" and keeps trying every 5 seconds. When I try the adafruitio_00_publish example, I just get continual output of "."'s as it's stuck in the while loop trying to connect. I did make sure I had created or modified my feed names to align, etc.

I'm running Arduino IDE 1.8.5 and Adafruit IO Arduino 2.6.0 as well as Ethernet2 1.0.4. I've validated it's not a hardware issue using the Ethernet2 examples which all work just fine.

By the way, I purchased the ethernet shield and moved away from the M0/ATWINC1500 due to stability issues with the WiFi chip, it was actually this line from the product description of the Ethernet FeatherWing that sold me on this setup:

Wireless is wonderful, but sometimes you want the strong reliability of a wire. If your Feather board is going to be part of a permanent installation, this Ethernet FeatherWing will let you add quick and easy wired Internet.

I don't think I would consider myself a noob at any of this but I'm lost and could use some help!

Thanks!

jaycollett

Re: Feather M0 Proto & Ethernet FeatherWing

by jaycollett on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I did a bit of debugging, I'm getting a code of "2" with the text "Disconnected from Adafruit IO."

jaycollett

by abachman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am

Hi jaycollett,

Saw you were on a couple threads with Feather Ethernet + Adafruit IO questions.

I've been seeing the same problems as you getting the Adafruit IO Arduino library to play nicely with the Ethernet shield mounted on a Feather M0 Proto. For now, I recommend using the Adafruit MQTT library directly if you're able / still working in this space since I can verify that it works. It's not clear what the problem with the Adafruit IO library is, since it works fine with WiFi and appears to be initializing the Ethernet2 library in the appropriate way, but we're looking into it.

Here's an example sketch that I have running successfully on my hardware right now: https://gist.github.com/abachman/8090f5be630fce02e603d7874cd50e0c.

m0-ethernet-wing.jpg
m0-ethernet-wing.jpg (117.12 KiB) Viewed 46 times

It's based on an MQTT library example sketch. The same exact logic using the Adafruit IO Library (which is just wrapping MQTT + Ethernet2) doesn't work, though and it's not clear why. I'm using version 0.17.0 of the MQTT library and version 1.0.4 of the Ethernet2 library.

abachman

by jaycollett on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Awesome, I'll give this a shot. I'm looking to use this as a proof of concept in a healtcare (non-direct patient care, non-life safety) enviroment and WiFi is a no go due to the existing RF noise in the particular enviroment where I hope to pilot these, so I was at an impasse.

Thanks Again.

jaycollett

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.