Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 not connecting to Adafruit?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
vicentepp

Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 not connecting to Adafruit?

Post by vicentepp »

Hello,

first of all, I am pretty new to this, so please be patient! I got a Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266. I have set it up and run the basic scripts (led on/off and wifi connection) and everything looks OK. However, I have been trying to follow the adafruit digital output minitutorial, and I don't get it to work. In my serial monitor, all I can read is "connecting to Adafruit IO...........[etc]", but it never connects. I am using the arduino IDE to load the code, which again worked for the setup and the wifi connection test. Any idea idea/suggestion on what to check next?
Thanks!!

sommersoft

Re: Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 not connecting to Adafru

Post by sommersoft »

Did you setup all of the appropriate fields in the config.h tab of the example?:

Code: Select all

#define IO_USERNAME    "your_username"
#define IO_KEY         "your_key"

/******************************* WIFI **************************************/

#define WIFI_SSID       "your_ssid"
#define WIFI_PASS       "your_pass"
This of course assumes you are loading the example code from the Arduino IDE. If you post your actual code (without personal info like wifi_pass and your AIO key), it will help people decode any possible issues.

vicentepp

Post by vicentepp »

Hi,
I literally use the code in the example. I don't modify it at all; only in config.h, where I include my account, key, wifi network and password.

sommersoft

Post by sommersoft »

Hmm. I just tried the example ("adafruitio_07_digital_out"; only changed config.h, like you), and it connects just fine. Which is weird because I don't even have a feed named "digital".

Are you sure you have your wifi & AIO values correct?

dotpan

Post by dotpan »

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I know I've been able to connect before, but my project no longer does, it hangs at the "connecting to Adafruit IO" portion and returns io.status() = 1.

After some testing I found that the examples don't try an connect to Wifi then AIO, just AIO. So I commented out the Wifi connecting alone and I seem to be connecting.

https://github.com/seckela/anonChatCoun ... ounter.ino

vicentepp

Post by vicentepp »

Hello everybody,

I still don't know what the exact issue is but I setup different wireless network (different access point) and now it seems the feather is connecting and working nicely. Therefore, the issue must be related with my router? Still when I test internet connection, it connects, but when trying to connect to adafruit, it just doesn't.

dotpan

Post by dotpan »

Do you have an example of your code (not your config.h code, but your setup code). I had the following code:

Code: Select all

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
 delay(500);
 Serial.print(".");
}
That was sitting in front of my io.connect setup, which when commented out made it so I reliably could connect.

automationjackson

Post by automationjackson »

I am seeing the same thing. It says "connecting to adafruit IO" then just stalls out. I know i am getting online as i can ping the nodeMCU that i am using. I have changed the config.h file to my username and AIO key. Anyone have a fix for this? Where is the io.connect call located?

Thanks
Ryan

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”