Well... THAT was easy! Thanks Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
InternetOfPuppies

Well... THAT was easy! Thanks Adafruit!

Post by InternetOfPuppies »

Just a "thank you!" for the service, docs, and libraries.

From brand-new-in-the-package Feather ESP8266 to Alexa triggers IFTTT that Publishes data to feed to Feather receives subscription data in < 45mins.

That's what I'd call RAPID IOT Prototyping!

I stumbled around a bit skimming the (excellent) documentation before I broke down and read at least three pages completely. ;-) Once I got to the "publish" example, I, of course, ignored it, went to the "subscribe" example (lighbulb moment there) - stopped reading, and started hacking.

InternetOfPuppies

Re: Well... THAT was easy! Thanks Adafruit!

Seriously - can't beat that with a stick!

Voice triggered via Echo -> IFTTT -> Adafruit.io -> subscribed feather

vs

Clicking the button on a flash applet at "the same time".

490ms difference.
voice-stopwatch1.jpg
voice-stopwatch1.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 424 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I'm glad you're enjoying it, InternetOfPuppies. Hopefully your next Adafruit IO project involves puppies?

InternetOfPuppies

Thanks Brubell. It is puppy-related, at least peripherally (see what I did there? :-p )

Forgive the crosspost... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=137109#p678815

TL;DR: seems like 98% of my IOT stuff these days is related to Yin's epilepsy and cluster seizures. It's all about lightening the workload that comes once every month for 10-12hrs.

In this case, it's a voice-actuated timer/counter/data logger.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

InternetOfPuppies wrote:Thanks Brubell. It is puppy-related, at least peripherally (see what I did there? :-p )

Forgive the crosspost... viewtopic.php?f=57&t=137109#p678815

TL;DR: seems like 98% of my IOT stuff these days is related to Yin's epilepsy and cluster seizures. It's all about lightening the workload that comes once every month for 10-12hrs.

In this case, it's a voice-actuated timer/counter/data logger.
Oh wow, my dog also has seizures. I'll be following this closely. Great project!

InternetOfPuppies

I didn't see an easy way to DM you, so apologies for the thread-spam!

Ideopathic, or caused by some disease? Are they well-controlled? (Yin is refractory, no combination of med_i_cation has helped with hers, so no control and we cluster)

Given your position and experience - I've been working with our neurologist, we have a seizure detector I designed in limited trials right now. It was originally prototyped around your 9DOF breakout, and a Feather M0, then moved to another 9DOF breakout with microSD from those "red boarded guys", finally to a board I sent out. Once you catch a few seizures, assuming they're not focal, you'll see they're pretty trivial to detect in a sliding window.

We live and breathe entirely by Echo/Alexa -> IFTTT voice triggers. "Alexa...Start Seizure" makes a zillion things happen all at once. Dragging this back on topic: I didn't realize just how well and quickly Alexa->IFTTT->Adafruit.io . It really opens up an entire world of hands-free interface. I'd love to see Adafruit contemplate an Alexa framework that removes the IFTTT middleman though. If I only had more time... ;-) But the upshot is that I wish I'd played with the voice interface possibilities before. The mind (at least mine) boggles at the potential.

At this instant, the timer responds to "Begin Clock" "End Clock" and "Clear Clock" (turning off the obnoxious night light that is the OLED. ;-) )

I just put a Featherwing RTC + MicroSD on the breadboard, and that will datalog all the events locally, and display the longer-term "days interictal" so we know when to start expecting the next.

But yes - promise I'll next update when I have something much less trivial to show for it. ;-)
vsw3.jpg
vsw3.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 384 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Ideopathic, or caused by some disease? Are they well-controlled? (Yin is refractory, no combination of med_i_cation has helped with hers, so no control and we cluster)
No idea, she's had them twice and been diagnosed by a vet.
I'd love to see Adafruit contemplate an Alexa framework that removes the IFTTT middleman though
While this is possible, by making a dozen or so skills, IFTTT-as-a-middleman works for now since they keep developing skills.

If you want to "dm me", I'm @brentr on the Adafruit Discord Channel.

InternetOfPuppies

I'm sorry! :-( If she's only having one a month or less with no complicating factors, most doctors will avoid the med'ications. "The treatment is worse than the disease" kinda thing.

Having a dog with epilepsy that is poorly controlled is tremendously stressful (and can be expensive). If you need it, the K9 Seizure mailing list is out there, and I'm here [rarely there though]

I can definitely see the cost/manpower advantage of letting IFTTT do that work for you!

InternetOfPuppies

I promised to update when I had something a little more interesting to show for it...

This is that update. Emphasis on "a little more interesting"

Embarrassingly enough: While awaiting my larger OLED, I printed this prototype housing from the line drawings. And immediately created a viewport to fit the mounting holes, not the physical display area. [blush] Total noob mistake. Just haven't decided if it annoys me enough to do another 8hr print yet. That, and i'd make it more doghouse-like, so there's a ton more CAD time... Regardless: This functions well enough to go into the bedroom and live there while I build-out a Version 2.0.

[Feather Huzzah ESP8266, and Adalogger Featherwing RTC + SD, SD1306 128x64 OLED. "Interictal" is calculated from the last time-stamp stored on the microSD. "Time Now" comes from the RTC. The contents of the microSD get pulled via an http (don't hate, it's on its own isolated segment) request to the NAS every night where it's ultimately hitting the redundant backup. The file contents are just "seizure start unix time,seizure end unix time[cr]", 10+1+10+1 bytes fixed, which makes it easy to seek to the end of the file, back up 11 bytes, grab ten bytes, subtract it from the current epoch, convert to whole days, display. The smallest cards I have laying around would provide something like eight million years of storage(!). If it fails to grab the file three times, it alerts my phone via sms gateway that the card has failed.]
Image of the prototype timer
Image of the prototype timer
timer-test-1.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 314 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Woah, neat! Would you be interested showing this on the Adafruit Show And Tell?

InternetOfPuppies

Thanks!

Let me watch a couple back episodes, get a feel for it... and print out the prettier house I designed last night. ;) v2 is already on the way. [duh]

I got the lower part of the "house" printed last night, but I was almost out of red PLA for the roof, so I've got a same-day Amazon coming in today.

(And it wasn't entirely a noob mistake - I went back and looked at the mechanical drawings, and remeasured, and the drawings are incorrect. [_not_ Adafruit's])

I really like the Feather ESP8266. They're not the least expensive, but it packs a lot of extra stuff on the board for value, and with all your work on the libraries, it makes banging out unique IOT solutions a couple-hour-weekend-night project. Your support library efforts are the real value-add, I look at the hardware as "free". Combined with Adafruit.io, it's trivial. I need to pay-up for a real subscription soon. Everything I've written has worked the first time, which scares the poo out of me. ;)

InternetOfPuppies

Haha! This is almost starting to feel like something I could actually like share in public and stuff without being overly embarrassed. Little more work. Getting closer.

It almost has a feeling to me reminiscent of an old Snoopy/Peanuts electric toothbrush from the 80s!
Second version of the housing
Second version of the housing
timer-house-v2.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 279 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

v2 looks great!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”