Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Identify transmitters and receivers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Identify transmitters and receivers

by Systembolaget on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:56 am

We have 1. three air quality sensors that shall report to a base station and 2. three wind turbulence sensors that shall report to a base station and 3. three traffic noise sensors that shall report to a base station. All three sensor types are in different locations on a large city traffic intersection. The base station shall visualise the sensor's output in good/normal/bad states via RGB LEDs. But we also would like to transmit the data to Adafruit.IO every hour or so.

We looked at your 1. packet radio 2. LoRa radio and 3. WiFi products but wonder how do transmitters and receivers identify each other? And how would we relay the base station receiver data to Adafruit.IO?

In other words, what products should we buy for these kind of multi-sensor/multi-location set-ups?

Thanks!

Systembolaget

Re: Identify transmitters and receivers

by brubell on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 am

Hi Systembolaget,

All three sensor types are in different locations on a large city traffic intersection.

I feel you'd be best off with a LoRa or LoRaWAN setup, keeping in mind that a LoRaWAN setup will require a LoRaWAN gateway in addition to a base station.

how do transmitters and receivers identify each other

Since the air quality sensors and the turbulence sensors send data to a base station, the base station should identify each data packet received by a sender. You can include an identifier value with the transmitted packet.

Check out this learning system guide for a setup similar to what you're proposing: https://learn.adafruit.com/multi-device ... re-network

brubell

by Systembolaget on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:11 am

Great, thanks!

I was hoping to get away without a LoRaWAN gateway and use "simple" packet radio instead. But I shall check out your multi-sensor guide before buying.

Systembolaget

by brubell on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:32 am

Systembolaget wrote:Great, thanks!

I was hoping to get away without a LoRaWAN gateway and use "simple" packet radio instead. But I shall check out your multi-sensor guide before buying.

You could use a simple packet radio like a RFM69 + Feather. The "base station" would be a Raspberry Pi with a RFM69 connected. The base station, just like in the guide, would listen to and parse packets from your sensors.

brubell

by Systembolaget on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid having to get into Raspberry Pi for this task though; is that absolutely necessary you think?

Systembolaget

by brubell on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 am

Systembolaget wrote:Thanks, I'm trying to avoid having to get into Raspberry Pi for this task though; is that absolutely necessary you think?

You could use a Feather RFM9x/RFM69 connected to an AirLift FeatherWing as a base station/gateway

brubell

by Systembolaget on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 am

Right, so I would buy

1. several Adafruit Feather M0 RFM69HCW Packet Radio - 868 or 915 MHz – RadioFruit for each sensor location to transmit,

2. one Adafruit Feather M0 RFM69HCW Packet Radio - 868 or 915 MHz – RadioFruit at the base station to receive, and coupled to that

3. one Adafruit AirLift FeatherWing – ESP32 WiFi Co-Processor at the base station to relay to Adafruit IO.

Did I understand this correctly?

Systembolaget

by brubell on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am

Yep - looks good!

brubell

by Systembolaget on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 am

To stack the FeatherWing and the Feather M0, due to the height of the JST connector on the Feather M0, one can only put the FeatherWing underneath - will that somehow diminish WiFi reception/transmission?

Or would it be better to always mount both PCBs side by side to avoid any WiFi/Packet Radio reception/transmission issues?

Thanks!

Systembolaget

by brubell on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am

To stack the FeatherWing and the Feather M0, due to the height of the JST connector on the Feather M0, one can only put the FeatherWing underneath -

Nope, it fits on top.
3229-04.jpg
3229-04.jpg (385.2 KiB) Viewed 86 times

will that somehow diminish WiFi reception/transmission?

If anything, it'd be minimal. Placement of your wifi router would be more important in this scenario (if you can control that).

Or would it be better to always mount both PCBs side by side to avoid any WiFi/Packet Radio reception/transmission issues?

I like using the FeatherWing doubler (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2890)

- Brent R.

brubell

by Systembolaget on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Yeah, I actually went for that nifty side-by-side thingy. Great for prototyping and fiddling.

If you don't mind, how about the AirLift FeatherWing powering issue I asked and maybe self-answered correctly (or incorrectly) in the other thread https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=163371#p802935 because I want to use a single battery for the receiver, the base-station.

Much appreciated!

Systembolaget

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.