Error after destroying IO data, regenerating key & starting

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
heliophagus

Error after destroying IO data, regenerating key & starting

Post by heliophagus »

Hi, Adafruit_IO N00b here. I'm trying to learn about Adafruit_IO by following the online examples for Arduino (I'm using an ESP32), but unfortunately the instructions for Adafruit_IO are for a completely different version of the online IO interface. The illustrated steps simply don't exist. This makes progress very slow & difficult.

So, I decided to "Destroy all IO data" & regenerate my key & start afresh. I changed the key in the "Adafruitio_00_publish" example to my new key, recompiled & uploaded to the ESP32.

Unfortunately I now get the following error message on Adafruit_IO:

"MQTT ERROR: unexpected error saving data on [my username]/feeds/counter, Validation failed: Name has already been taken, Key has already been taken"

Nothing helps - recompiling, reloading, logging out, logging back in, I keep getting the same error message. I emphasize that I changed the key in the firmware to the new, regenerated key and that the username I actually entered is correct.

Question #1 - What can I do to solve this problem? Am I missing a step I should know about?

Question #2: Do you have any up-to-date guides that reference the Adafruit_IO interface as it currently exists?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Error after destroying IO data, regenerating key & start

Post by brubell »

unfortunately the instructions for Adafruit_IO are for a completely different version of the online IO interface.
The interface has changed since writing, but the steps should generally be the same. We're in the process of adding a major new feature, WipperSnapper, to Adafruit.io. Guides showing the newer interfaces are in the pipeline.
"MQTT ERROR: unexpected error saving data on [my username]/feeds/counter, Validation failed: Name has already been taken, Key has already been taken"
Could you navigate to io.adafruit.com/YOURUSERNAME/feeds? Is the counter feed listed?

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

Thank you for your reply! Yes, "counter" is listed as the only feed I have (key: "default.counter"). I'm still getting the same error message. The example sketch has my username & the latest key, as listed under "My Key". This error only showed up after deleting all of my existing feeds etc. - with the intention of starting with a clean slate. The website indicated that my key would not be affected. Yet it seems that happened.

I'd really, really like to resolve this. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

I'm still getting the error message:
I have tried everything I can think of, without success. Please see my previous messages for details. Incidentally, starting a new feed with a different name & renaming the feed name in the publish example did not help.

Can someone - anyone - please help with this? Would it be possible to reset my account in some way?

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

The error indicated here is the 'feed.key' and 'feed.name', I believe. It's telling you that those two values are already taken because the 'counter' feed already exists.

Your AIO Key appears to be OK, as you wouldn't get this far in the process if it wasn't (the errors would be different).

Can you post your code that is failing? Please remove any sensitive information (wifi or aio key info). If it's an example, can you link to it? I'm curious if there is an issue with the example code.

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

Hi, and thanks for replying. I was just about to jump on Twitter & Reddit & see if anyone there could help! I'd much prefer to solve the problem here (if it can be solved).

As I mentioned in the first message, I'm running the "Adafruitio_00_publish" example - with no modifications other than WiFi credentials & username & key. This is on an ESP32 Feather. The error message
only appeared after I tried to start Adafruit IO with a clean slate by selecting "Destroy all IO data" & regenerating my key & starting afresh.

As it stands, I can't use Adafruit IO at all, and I have to assume that trying to start over with a clean slate (because the instructions were confusing and referenced screens etc. that are completely different now) somehow permanently disabled my account.

Is there any hope of solving this problem? I would really appreciate any help you can give. Or is the account in fact permanently disabled?

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

We're still looking at this. Could you create a ticket on our support system?

Navigate here:
https://io.adafruit.com/support

Then choose the Contact Adafruit Support link.

We'll work with you there, and most likely need to request increased access permissions to your data.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Can you give that example sketch another try? I've made a change that may have fixed the issue for you.

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

Thanks for the reply. I'd pretty much given up hope at this point. I had a few free days to try out AdafruitIO & they were all wasted by this bug in the system (plus the fact that the on-line guides refer to a long-extinct version of AdfruitIO, which makes them pretty much useless if you're coming to a new system with zero experience but high hopes & having just spent $99 to access the full version, believing that I'd find it useful enough to justify the expense).

Now I'm incredibly busy and have lost the window. I will try & shake loose enough time to re-try using IO with the same sketch, & open a support ticket.

eyeKal

Post by eyeKal »

hello, how can i solve this problem with this page showing? eyeg

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

@jwcooper, thank you! I no longer get that error message. Much appreciated.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”