Feather Huzzah 32 Examples don't compile

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
SeniorHam

Feather Huzzah 32 Examples don't compile

Post by SeniorHam »

Running Raspberry Pi-4b with Feather Huzzah 32 - ESP 32. None of the examples listed work. They all have the same error:
"Pyserial is not installed for /usr/bin/python. Check the README for installation instructions."

Where can I find that README?

dastels

Re: Feather Huzzah 32 Examples don't compile

Post by dastels »

Can you provide more context, please? How are they connected, How are you compiling/building/running?

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

I have a Feather Huzzah 32 running by itself on a USB3 connector of my Raspberry Pi-4b. I am trying to acquaint myself with it by running example code using the Arduino IDE.

None of the examples I have tried make it through the compile test. Not even the blink test.

What am I missing?

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK, you're running Arduino on the Pi, using it as yourt development system. Got it.

It would seem that you need to install PySerial. Can you post the output from trying to compile blink.

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

Dave,

I'm not sure how to post the output.

Copy and paste does not seem to work with Adurino IDE with the Pi. I made a screen grab and tried to attach it as a file, but this list does not accept .png files.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I would try the copy paste. Odd.

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

Dave,

If I try to paste the copy of the error into the web site, it slows the Pi down to a crawl and crashes. It tries to copy the whole compile message output. If, instead, I just paste it into a Libre Office file, it works without the full compile verbose output.

The error is below. If I knew where to find the README installation file it might help. Any idea what I should do?

Error:

python /home/pi/.arduino15/packages/esp32/tools/esptool_py/3.1.0/esptool.py --chip esp32 elf2image --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size 4MB -o /tmp/arduino_build_526115/Blink.ino.bin /tmp/arduino_build_526115/Blink.ino.elf
Pyserial is not installed for /usr/bin/python. Check the README for installation instructions.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/.arduino15/packages/esp32/tools/esptool_py/3.1.0/esptool.py", line 38, in <module>
import serial
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit ESP32 Feather.

dastels

Post by dastels »

It sounds like an installation issue. I would think that installing Arduino would install everything needed. You might try reinstalling.

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

Do I need to install Micro Python on the Huzzah 32-ESP32 Feather to compile the Examples. I don't seem to be able to find a step by step process to start using this board as a stand alone unit.

dastels

Post by dastels »

No. Compilation happens on your host system (the Pi in your case) and th resulting binary gets copied to the MCU board.

Have you looked at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... 32-feather?

What do you mean "as a standalone unit"?

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

RE: Stand alone unit.

Only the Feather Huzzah 32-ESP32. Not plugged into an Adurino. Eventually I want to control three stepper motors and have two analog readings returned over a distance of up to 50 feet via WiFi and/or Bluetooth. Perhaps, even more items.

I mistook the ESP32 for the Huzzah ESP8622 breakout when ordering for a project in a magazine article. That project provided an .ino file which is all running on the ESP8266 (correctly ordered on second attempt). Now I want to put the Feather Huzzah 32-ESP32 into my own project.

I did read the linked page a few times and many others. My problem is putting it all together. The names of the various boards are often similar and confusing to a guy like me. That, in turn, leads to many links that may not be for the exact ESP32 board I have. To complicate matters, I'm still learning the Raspberry Pi.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to remove the different Python versions from the Pi so I can re-install. Any advice o n that will be appreciated.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Standalone, yes, that usually the eventual goal. Arduino and he system it's running on is just to write the code, compile it, and load it onto the board. Most microcontroller projects are meant to run standalone.

As for python versions on the Pi, you'll need both a python2 and a python3. Python2 will have come along with Rasbian and you can generally ignore it. You likely have python3 installed. Try the command python3 --version. 3.10 is the most recent but you may have to build that from source. My Pi400 had 3.7 on it (I'm currently building 3.10 from source and will hopefully move to that).

Dave

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

That may be my problem. Here is what I get:

pi@hampi:~ $ python3 --version
Python 3.7.3

SeniorHam

Post by SeniorHam »

I think pyserial may just be in the wrong directory. I don't want to mess up what already works on the Pi.

Can you tell me what to do to put a copy in the right directory or maybe a link so that the compiler can find it? Below is the location of pyserial.

pi@hampi:~ $ pip install pyserial
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial in ./.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages (3.5)
pi@hampi:~ $

dastels

Post by dastels »

ok, what does python --version report? You have pyserial installed for python3... but it might be python2 that's looking for it.

Dave

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”