Accuracy of Adafruit Sensors and needing to be updated

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Tom_Henry

Accuracy of Adafruit Sensors and needing to be updated

Post by Tom_Henry »

I have set up a Raspberry Pi Zero W with 2 Adafruit sensors: MS8607, PMSA003I running a CircuitPython program: see attached copy.

I have this package outside on my deck sending temperature, humidity, pressure, and various readings from the PMSA003I.

I have created a public Adafruit IO dashboard to view the readings that are update every minute or so.

Here is a link to this public dashboard: https://io.adafruit.com/Tom_Henry/dashb ... -date-time

I have attached a copy of the CircuitPython program that runs everything.

Here is my question:

I notice that I often have to restart the CircuitPython program to get updated accurate temperature readings. I have also noticed this with other Adafruit sensors.

Why is this? I thought the Adafruit sensors were always accurate and giving out the correct readings.

Thanks,

Tom Henry
Attachments
PMSA003I.12.4.py
(6.59 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Accuracy of Adafruit Sensors and needing to be updated

Post by brubell »

For the MS8607,
"Pressure measurements accuracy comes in at +/- 2 hPa, relative humidity at +/- 3% rH, and temperature is good to within 1 degree Celsius."

What do you mean by "updated accurate temperature readings". Is the program crashing?

Tom_Henry

Post by Tom_Henry »

Monday morning

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about.

This morning I went to my dashboard and you can see the attached screen shot readings, notice the temperature is 50.3 degrees F. I know for a fact that the outside temperature is NOT 50 degrees, it’s more like 34 degrees.

So using VNC I navigate to the Raspberry Pi, I stop the CircuitPython program, and then restart the CircuitPython program.

Now notice the new screen shot showing the temperature is 35.32 degrees which is most likely correct.

I have documented this happening with multiple Adafruit sensors including multiple MS8607, BME280.

My only solution would be to somehow build in a restart the CircutPython program every x number of hours. I’m not sure how to do that.

I would be interested to hear your comments as to why the Adafruit sensors are not reporting the temperature accurately unless I restart the CircuitPython program.

Thank you,

Tom Henry
Attachments
2.png
2.png (147.57 KiB) Viewed 130 times
1.png
1.png (154.94 KiB) Viewed 130 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds more like a problem with your program hanging or crashing than a sensor accuracy problem.

Tom_Henry

Post by Tom_Henry »

Your comment: Sounds more like a problem with your program hanging or crashing than a sensor accuracy problem.

The program is not crashing. It is refreshing every 60 seconds. I can tell that by reading the data from the dashboard. I have built in a counter and that tells me it is actually updating every 60 seconds.

I am going to make my example much simpler.

I will use Adafruit’s Simple Test for the MS8607 with slight modifications: added Fahrenheit temperature and changed refresh time to every 10 minutes: see attached CircuitPython program.

I have put this outside on my deck, and will let it run all day and tomorrow morning I will check the temperature readings from Adafruit’s MS8607 sensor using my VNC connection to the Raspberry Pi Zero W 2.

Here is what I am seeing right now for the temperature which seems to be an accurate outside temperature.

12.65 C and 54.66 F

I will get back to you tomorrow morning with my results.
Attachments
ms8607_simpletest.py
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 1 time

adafruit_support_bill

Looking at the values in your previous post, the error would seem to be in the conversion to Fahrenheit. The sensor itself reports in Celsius and that value is 2.64 C in the first reading and 2.65 C in the second. Both of which are very close to what you believe was the correct temperature at the time.

Tom_Henry

Post by Tom_Henry »

I certainly owe you an apology.

Your are absolutely right. The line of code to convert the C to F was in the wrong place.

I changed it to this:

# SPDX-FileCopyrightText: 2020 Bryan Siepert, written for Adafruit Industries
# SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT
from time import sleep
import board
from adafruit_ms8607 import MS8607

i2c = board.I2C()
sensor = MS8607(i2c)

while True:

print("Pressure: %.2f hPa" % sensor.pressure)
print("Temperature: %.2f C" % sensor.temperature)
f = (sensor.temperature * 1.8) + 32.
print("Temperature: %.2f F" % f)
print("Humidity: %.2f %% rH" % sensor.relative_humidity)
print("\n------------------------------------------------\n")
sleep(600)

It now works just fine thanks to you.

Now I can fix this in all my other CircuitPython programs.

Much appreciated.

Tom Henry

adafruit_support_bill

Good to hear there was a straightforward solution. Thanks for the follow-up.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”