Throttle error
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Throttle error

by jsafavi on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:41 am

Why do I receive a throttle error when trying to remove data from a feed? (see attached photo)

The error says: "Error: - Throttle error. jsafavi data rate limit reached, 46 seconds until throttle reset"

Also how can I tell if I'm being throttled?

Thanks
Attachments
throttle error.PNG
throttle error.PNG (53.66 KiB) Viewed 311 times

jsafavi

Re: Throttle error

by abachman on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi jsafavi,

You're getting throttled because, unfortunately, the system deletes each data point separately, so selecting a bunch and then deleting them all can overload the data throttling system which limits you to 60 requests (create, update, or delete operations) per minute.

If you need to delete substantially more data than that you can either write a script that does it incrementally with a slight delay or by deleting and recreating the whole feed.

- Adam

abachman

by jsafavi on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for your response Adam!

The error pops up regardless of how many data points are selected (even one data point).
Is there a way to know what is causing the throttle? or some sort of stat on each feed and the amount of data each one is receiving?

Thanks

jsafavi

by jsafavi on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Never mind Adam!

I was being throttled due to some miscalculation (and some bugs in my code!)
Things are back to normal.

Thanks again!

jsafavi

by abachman on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

No worries.

The #1 goal for throttling is not to put too much data into storage, #2 goal is to catch runaway devices. That second was the motivation for moving from a 300 second window to a 60 second window, too, because then you only get locked out for ~58 seconds instead of 290.

Happens to me a lot in testing and in my own projects. It's actually kind of amazing how many MQTT messages an Arduino MKR1000 can push over WiFi. ;D

- Adam

abachman

by doi on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:23 pm

I am in great trouble. I setup a program the gets fired Software update via Web-Server from a MQTT feed. Now, 6 units on remote customer site needs to get a software update in order to maintain operation. But trying to send signal to the software update "Error: request failed - Throttle error. ... data rate limit reached, 12 seconds until throttle reset" comes up. checking the "Monitor" page continuously "feed data rate limit reached, 8 seconds until throttle reset " Error is coming up. I tried to disable or delete other feeds, but Current Usage Rate does not go down. Please Help!!!

doi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.