Chart scaling
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Chart scaling

by fruity_pebbles on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 pm

The auto scaling of Y axis data on the charts leaves something to be desired. My dashboard has four charts. Using auto scaling here's what I get:

1. Temperature in the range (today) of 59-79. Auto scaling gives a range of 0-100.
2. Barometric pressure with a range of 1029-1034. Auto scaling gives a range of 0-1100.
3. Signal strength in the range 70-100. Auto scaling gives a range of 0-100.
4. Humidity in the range 15-35. Auto scaling gives a range of 0-100.

In addition #2 is problematic even with manual scaling. If I give it a range of 1000-1050 or 1020-1040 all of the Y axis tics are labeled "1.0k". I have to get the range down to about 6 before it switches the tic labels to something that you can tell apart, e.g. "1031" and "1032".

Is there a way to get auto scaling to use the actual data range?

fruity_pebbles

Re: Chart scaling

by abachman on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm

hi fruity_pebbles!

We deployed a small change last week that forced IO to use user-set min/max values if they existed, but I've updated that this afternoon with a fix that auto-scales when no user min/max are set. The problem you're describing is related to some old hard-coded { min: 0, max: 100 } code that was built into the io.adafruit.com UI layer. Fixing the "acknowledge user-set values" behavior last week had the knock-on effect of exposing the poorly chosen defaults all weekend, sorry about that.

If you clear all min/max values for line chart blocks and refresh your dashboard, you should see proper, sensible auto-scaling for all your charts. Additionally, you can set just a min or just a max and that should behave sensibly as well.

- adam

abachman

Re: Chart scaling

by fruity_pebbles on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Adam,

Clearing min/max values this morning and again just now had the effect I described in my post, but after logging out and then logging in again the unset min/max values are now behaving just as I like. Excellent! Thanks for the help.

Jim

fruity_pebbles

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.