Very bloated web pages
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Very bloated web pages

by craigio on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Loading a dashboard or even just a feed here is quite slow. Generally around 7+ seconds for me.

There appear to be 3 reasons for this:
    1) Huge amounts of javascript data.
    If I load a simple dashboard with 2 elements, io.adafruit.com transfers massive javascript files. vendor.js is 3137807 bytes.
    2) Extremely bloated .htm file.
    Of the 540k of the .htm file for my dashboard, only 80k is data. (and that doesn't include the data downloaded from d2794n4cyhr13z.cloudfront.net)
    3) io.adafruit.com feeds and dashboards load various files from stripe.com, including stripensrq.global.ssl.fastly.net. This is a large, slow, extraneous overhead.

Displaying a simple dashboard takes way longer than it needs to. Can some of this be streamlined?

craigio

Re: Very bloated web pages

by jwcooper on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 am

Hello, and welcome to the Adafruit Forums!

Initial (first) page loads from an un-cached IO are going to be a bit slower. From then on, every page load is loading mostly just json responses from our app. It is a fairly standard single-page application design. My initial page load speeds are under 3 seconds, and every subsequent load is under 500ms. It might be shorter or longer depending on your internet speeds.

Also, the vendor.js file is large, but is only ~800k on the wire (entire site is 1.27mb), not 3MB as suggested, and includes the payload for the entire site and is cached from that point on. We work hard to reduce the size, but you can only do so much with a site that is interactive like IO. We have had very few, if any complaints about the speed of the site since our recent redesign. We will take your feedback into consideration for future updates and we're always looking into ways to make things faster for our users (seriously, we spend a lot of time on this!).

Stripe is our payment processor for io+. We will look into your reports of it loading unnecessarily on feeds and dashboards.

Adafruit IO is developed by a small and dedicated team of developers within Adafruit. We're always looking for ways to add new features and make things work in neat ways. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome, but please keep the tone of your posts positive and not inflammatory.

jwcooper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.