Ask Google Home status of switch
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ask Google Home status of switch

by DrBob1000 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm

There is lots of information on how to tell Google Home to turn things on and off using IFTTT and AdaFruit IO but I've not been able to find the answer to this. I have a 0/1 switch feeding an ESP8266 digital line and it shows up great on IO Feed. It shows "1" when the switch is on and "0" when off. How can I ask Google Home/Assistant what the status is of that switch and have it respond with "On" or "Off"?

DrBob1000

Re: Ask Google Home status of switch

by BruceC12 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Exactly what I want to know... I want to ask Google the current value of an IO feed.

BruceC12

by honkbonk on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 pm

I suspect this is not something easily accomplished because Google Home does not respond to published messages from your sensors.

The "usual" way Google -> IFTTT -> Adafruit works to SET a value.

If a new value, from your sensor, is sent to Adafruit IO, there's no way to "send" that data to you Google Home device because they don't actively listen for published messages.

It would have to look something like this...

1. "Hey Google, what's the status?"
2. Publish "STATUS" message to your feed
3. Sensor would subscribe to STATUS message
4. Sensor would publish STATE value to Adafruit

This is where it falls apart. IFTTT does not wait around for a "response" and thus Google Home won't announce a response.

You could setup an alternate IFTTT applet to do something (SMS or such) to send the response value

honkbonk

by DrBob1000 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am

@honkbonk, thanks for the response! I know it's possible as I can ask Google the status of my Chamberlain garage door opener and it passes the request to "My Q" and a voice from My Q then announces whether the door is open or closed. I certainly don't know what all is involved in doing that and it could very well be beyond my abilities, but that is the kind of thing I'm interested in. :)

DrBob1000

by brubell on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 am

DrBob1000 wrote:@honkbonk, thanks for the response! I know it's possible as I can ask Google the status of my Chamberlain garage door opener and it passes the request to "My Q" and a voice from My Q then announces whether the door is open or closed. I certainly don't know what all is involved in doing that and it could very well be beyond my abilities, but that is the kind of thing I'm interested in. :)

You may also want to look into Zapier as an alternative to IFTTT's integration with Google Assistant.

brubell

by DrBob1000 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

@brubell Thank you for the suggestion. I've not looked into Zapier before. I'll take a closer look at it. On the surface, I'm not seeing the solution but I'll keep digging. I'm not interested in being notified of a change in a switch status, I just want to be able to ask Google what is the current IO feed status.

DrBob1000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.