IDEAS: DASHBOARD BLOCK SUGGESTIONS

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
DevilWAH

Re: IDEAS: DASHBOARD BLOCK SUGGESTIONS

Post by DevilWAH »

How about a block to display a video feed, either streamed of youtube (streamming) link.

I have been building a dashboard for my fish-tanks to show temperatures and light status, etc. I also have a webcam streaming so it would be great to create a dashboard with a frame to show that video.

Video would of course all be dealt with client side but for people who may want to create a dashboard like this for monitoring, or for remotely controlling something over the web, introducing an ability to view video in the dashboard could be really helpful.

laird_trimble

Post by laird_trimble »

How about for the chart block, adding the ability to have a log axis rather than linear?

johnsmith101

Post by johnsmith101 »

I would like to have a selectable time axis in line charts without editing the dashboard.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

I would like upvote buttons on this thread so we can indicate the popular ones

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

On graphs could we have threshold lines and average line / value

USer case i have a graph showing my fish tank temperatures. so being able to see if the temp is getting close to a threshold or being able to compare daily / weekly temps would be a nice touch.

Comparison graph would be nice as well. where you can plot two date ranges against each other, ie, plot this week's values and overlay last weeks. it would just need to be a tick box saying. "overlay with values starting from X days ago." So if your graph has a range of 1 day and you chose to overlay data from 7 days ago, you see a comparison with last weeks data of the same time.

BELLANCAL

Post by BELLANCAL »

I have a suggestion for the indicator block circle.

Can you add a latching option such that it can change state based on a received value. Then you can also add some reset logic or reset button. Current implementation seems to reset on next data received, which may not be needed in all cases. This will help in identifying historical events.

Thanks.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

I would still like to see a "frame" block so we can imbed streams.

I set up a pi that both monitors the Tempture of my fishtanks but also stream a video. It would be really nice to be able to display the video on the dask board.

All it needs is the ability to create a frame of a set size and enter the URL either a static url or send it so you can switch the view between camara feeds..

Also with the BASE64 image block would it be possible to send the picture via a feed so we could at least send a picture at intervals?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

DevilWAH wrote:I would still like to see a "frame" block so we can imbed streams.

I set up a pi that both monitors the Tempture of my fishtanks but also stream a video. It would be really nice to be able to display the video on the dask board.

All it needs is the ability to create a frame of a set size and enter the URL either a static url or send it so you can switch the view between camara feeds..

Also with the BASE64 image block would it be possible to send the picture via a feed so we could at least send a picture at intervals?
> Also with the BASE64 image block would it be possible to send the picture via a feed so we could at least send a picture at intervals?

The b64 image block can be linked to a feed during the block configuration.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

base64 seems to be limited to 1KB though :(

dhanushx012

Post by dhanushx012 »

I'm usually comparing two sensor values against each other, but they're offset (one ranges 100-110, the other from 30 to 90), having those on at least 2 y axis would significantly improve readability/usability.

GroundFloor322

Post by GroundFloor322 »

please make the toggle hold its position, as of now when other toggle buttons are used it returns back to default state and its annoying...

tgmcnaughton

Post by tgmcnaughton »

Horizon Plots with Specific Time interval for each Row

https://observablehq.com/@d3/horizon-chart

Horizon plots are great for comparing multiple feeds. I would love to see a different type of Horizon Plot - one where, rather than displaying multiple feeds over the same datetime range, only a single feed is displayed but each row wraps at a specified time interval - hour, day, week etc. This would make it easier to compare data that cycles on a set clock schedule.

Use Case: Say I am monitoring power use in my house. I might be interested in visualizing how afternoon peaks compare to morning troughs. If plots of each day were stacked vertically this would be easy. Or say I want to monitor a process that has a fixed weekly cycle made up of various daily cycles - for example, a landscaping sprinkler system. I may have different patterns for MWF and TThS, but they repeat with respect to the clock. A horizon plot that has 7 rows, each with data from a different day of the preceeding week would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim McNaughton

A nice default would be to show the 7 horizon panels as from Top to Bottom: Mon, Tues ... Sun. The data could be scrolled, but it would seem to make most sense NOT to scroll the data, but instead to keep the X-axis fixed to clock time - say midnight to midnight and overwrite new data onto old.

LagomBra

Post by LagomBra »

Allow users to set proper time ranges (00:00 - 23:59) and allow, for the longer-term display options to set days instead of hours; right now it's hard to make out the days displayed.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-30 um 10.21.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-30 um 10.21.58.png (303.22 KiB) Viewed 5798 times

cscott

Post by cscott »

The API has different "summary" mechanisms (average, min, max, sum, etc) -- I'd like to see these exposed as options in the line graph UX.

My use case is a garden watering monitor -- my device reports how many gallons where dispensed each minute; when the graph is zoomed out I'd like to see the sum of gallons dispensed over all minutes in an hour, not the average.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

bump to unlock

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”