Internet Momentary Switch

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
beaubeau

Internet Momentary Switch

Post by beaubeau »

Not sure where to post this, so .... I'll start here ...

We have electric hurricane shutters powered by a 110v motor, controlled by a momentary rocker switch inside the house.

I'd like to be able to operate those shutters from the internet, kinda like the WeMo, but in the form of a momentary switch.

Any thoughts about a starting point?

PaulRowntree

Re: Internet Momentary Switch

Post by PaulRowntree »

A momentary switch to drive the motor sounds like it is a low-voltage (DC?) control line, not the power to the motor itself. So a simple small relay with the contacts in parallel with the existing switch should work. You could probably get by with a small Arduino-shield relay, but you need to give more information to be sure.

Once you have a controller that can activate the shutters (both ways?) then you can use io.adafruit to communicate from the 'net to your controller. But you have a few steps to go before diving into this part.

beaubeau

Post by beaubeau »

Thanks Paul. This momentary switch is definitely 110v. It looks just like a modern ‘light switch’, but has no ‘click’, hold down the bottom and the shutter closes until the switch is released, hold down the top and the shutter opens until released.

esteticaexperts

Post by esteticaexperts »

It is easy. Just put a relay in parallel with the switch and do a simple sketch to trigger it with a feed in the Adafruit IO

robingreig

Post by robingreig »

Just a concern....
When activating the shutters, does the motor turn off when the shutters are fully open or closed, even if you haven't released the switch?
I'm thinking that if the motor shuts off before you release the switch, then there are limit switches installed.
If the motor continues to turn, or is powered until you release the button, then there may not be limit switches installed.
Without limit switches installed, your remote sketch may not be able to sense the status of the shutters, and you it may continue to drive the motor even when the shutters are fully open or closed, stressing or damaging the motor(s)?
With a momentary switch, the manufacturer may be relying on you visually monitoring the shutters and releasing the switch when they have completed their travel?
Without the limit switches, you could setup a sketch with timing to only power the motor for the length of time it normally takes to open or close the shutters, but what if they get jammed and you're not there to monitor them?
Again, I don't know the circuit, but I'd want to make sure not to stress or damage the motors / shutters when you're not around to visually monitor their movement?
Robin

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”